Prev: Re: [FT] Defending with SMLs Next: Re: [FT] Defending with SMLs

Re: [FT] Defending with SMLs

From: devans@u...
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 13:40:46 -0600
Subject: Re: [FT] Defending with SMLs

***
Okay, I'm sold.  I think that I will leave them in place on a few ships,
just to give them some exposure to the SML, and make sure that those
ships
are assigned to people who know what they are doing.

I've got one guy who is uncanny at estimating distance on the tabletop;
I'm
morbidly curious to see how well he's going to do when there's no
Geo-Hex
to assist him in his estimations.
***

***
>With SMs in play, slow-moving NSL will be target drones. Asteriods
>don't "encourage" low speeds amongst novice players; they enforce
>them, brutally. Consider using a debris field instead.

They have played FT -- although it's been a while, and a refresher game
or
two before the big one is definately called for -- so I'm not too
concerned
about their manuvering skills...
***

Well, it's still the case that the slower the speed, the exponentially
more
effective the SM's. However, as long as there aren't TOO many, and the
NSL's tend on the large size, they'll be hurt rather than merely
expanding-clouds-of-gas (sound familiar?). It's the kind of thing that
works well on balancing the relative fragility of the FSE. Which they'll
need if, in this scenario, they are putting themselves 'in harm's way'.
Tricky to find the right balance, tho.

On the occasions my ESU weren't annihilated in the first couple of
turns, I
found the FSE most satisfactorily effervescent.

***
...But this "debris field" intrigues me --
what is it (well, a field of debris, obviously), and how does it work in
play?
***

Sounds dang familiar; and me without my books.

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [FT] Defending with SMLs Next: Re: [FT] Defending with SMLs