Prev: Re: Happy Birthday To Oz (was HAPPY NEW YEAR!) Next: 15mm-ish metal helos at Wal-Mart for $1.99

Re: [FT] Defending with SMLs

From: "Nathan" <Nathan_at_Spring_Grove_UK@e...>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 18:08:09 -0000
Subject: Re: [FT] Defending with SMLs

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@voicenet.com>
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Date: Monday, January 01, 2001 04:30
Subject: [FT] Defending with SMLs

> I'm preparing a big FT scenario to run with my gaming group -- the
first
> time we'll have used the Fleet Book rules -- and I need some input.
>
> The attackers are stock NSL ships -- my largest fleet.
>  The defenders are a mixture of NAC, ESU <edit> and FSE

> Basically, the defenders are going to need to get some refugee ships
> off the attacker's board edge, and the attackers need to prevent this.

> I've been considering replacing the SML launchers with a class
> one battery and three class twos (three arcs each).

> Are the (inexperienced) defenders likely to have a problem?

Make the change. Missiles require practice to to be handled properly
at the both the sending and receiving ends, and you will get erratic
results until your (inexperienced) players get some practice.

> (ESU) maybe armed with a Heavy Beam Weapon or two.

Ditto the Heavy Beam. Unless it is very simple, leave it out until they
can handle the basic kit well.

> My players DO prefer relatively slow velocities -- 12" is considered
> to be dangerously fast in one of our games and I'll be using asteroids
> to encourage this, so the SMLs should have a good chance of hitting.

With SMs in play, slow-moving NSL will be target drones. Asteriods
don't "encourage" low speeds amongst novice players; they enforce
them, brutally. Consider using a debris field instead.

Nathan

Prev: Re: Happy Birthday To Oz (was HAPPY NEW YEAR!) Next: 15mm-ish metal helos at Wal-Mart for $1.99