Prev: RE: ship IDs (from Dean's pics) Next: Re: ship IDs (from Dean's pics)

Re: Ship Names (was Re: RE-Ship types names)

From: johncrim@v...
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 14:11:55 -0500
Subject: Re: Ship Names (was Re: RE-Ship types names)

> John Crimmins wrote:
> >
> [...]
> > Ship classes are named after famous surrealist/absurdist artists.
> > Individual ships are named after the creations of those artists.
This has
> > given me some pretty neat names, I think.
> >
> > Examples include....
> >
> > Rene Magritte Class: The Voice of the Air, The Unexpected Answer,
The
> > Empire of Lights, Lesson from the Tenebrae, Reflections of Time, The
Glass
Key

> > Slavador Dali Class: Metamorphis of Narcissus, The Persistence of
Memory,
> > Transparent Simulacrum of the Feigned Image, Burning Giraffes And
Telephone

> > ...and so forth.
>
> Somewhat reminds me of what Ian Banks did with his ship names in
> "Excession". Kinda similar to yours above, but more along the
> lines of phrases (Anticipation Of A New Lover's Arrival, Steely
> Glint, Serious Callers Only, Ethics Gradient, Charitable View, etc).

I'd be lying if I said that this hadn't influenced me -- I've always
like the n
ames that
Banks uses.  Surrealist paintings give much the same effect, and fit the
New Ba
varian
culture to a "T".

When I get around to doing something with the Pantropist Society, I'll
probably
 use the
names of extinct animals for their ships.

John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

      http://www.voicenet.com/webmail/

Prev: RE: ship IDs (from Dean's pics) Next: Re: ship IDs (from Dean's pics)