Prev: RE: Starfire, was Re: More weapon concept questions Next: Re: Ship tape names Was: New Conversion of Babylon 5

Re: New Conversion of Babylon 5 for FT

From: "Peter Mancini" <peter_mancini@m...>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 14:44:53 -0500
Subject: Re: New Conversion of Babylon 5 for FT

>From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com>
If they had figured this out prior to 900BC, why didn't they stop
having one mounted horse-holder for each mounted fighter until around
750BC...?

A question for the AGES!!!  I spent months researching this very same
thing.
  The reasons why that I came up with were:

1. Competitors took a long time to develop sufficient cavalry arms
2. Nobels were hard press to get rid of high prestige chariots
3. Nobels were very happy plinking arrows at the unwashed or engaging
enemy
nobels in one-on-one battles.  Engaging in shock combat with the
wanwashed
was just not heard of.	If the unwashed were to attempt to charge
chariots
it would be considered SOCIAL CLIMBING.  :-)
4. Why does the U.S. Army still have any aviation assets?  They are
conservative military organizations and they hate to give up things they
had
before.
5. The United Chariot Makers Union had a powerful lobby.
6. Florida voters were distracted by the shiny chariots and voted too
keep
them in production long after they served their term of service.
From - Fri Dec 22 22:00:15 2000
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:12:24 -0500
From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.Donald@acd.net>
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: Starfire, was Re: More weapon concept questions
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

Check the game out...he's not kidding!	 (oy!)

Donald Hosford

Peter Mancini wrote:

> >- 'Red Chicken Rising' tactical space rules in the Generic Legions
universe
> >are now available online (the only known rules that begin with a
shower
> >scene).
>
> Hey, stop trying to re-introduce the Phalon thread.  We know what you
are up
> to!
>
> Shower scene?  Egad!
From - Fri Dec 22 22:00:16 2000
From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@bitheads.com>
To: "Gzg Digest (E-mail)" <GZG-L@csua.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Metalstorm system
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:16:20 -0500
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

I was reading some more about the Metalstorm system discussed recently
(the
system for firing bullets electrically from preloaded barrells
gauranteeing
hideous rates of fire).

In the article, they had a system with 36? barrells loaded with 9mm
ammunition. The system looked to be about 2m long, by about about 1.25m
high
by about 0.75m wide, but I'm sort of guestimating scale. It fired (no
word
of a lie) at an effective ROF of 1.62M rpm. I saw the snaps of it firing
- a
geyser of flame....

They were planning units like this for CIWS for ships and for.....
MINES!

They said they could do away with some of the conventional mines (pain
lay, pain to recover/demine) and replace it with fields featuring a few
of
these and sensors to drive them. They predicted the psychological
effects on
enemy infantry formations who contemplated advancing against them as
....severe.

I've seen a CF film called "Small Arms in the Anti-aircraft Role". In it
was
a segment on the PIVAD air defense system (Vulcan on an M113). They
showed
it depressed to engage infantry - they cut trucks and plywood infantry
cutouts in half so fast you'd never even know what hit you. And that has
RoF of at max a few thousand RPM. I concluded upon seeing that
demonstration
years ago that _I_ would never want to engage an ADA unit without using
GMS from 2000m. Now I've seen this beast, I can just imagine the
"severe"
morale effects on an enemy unit having to move into a "minefield" of
these
systems.

DARPA (I think) granted them $10M US to build a prototype combat rifle
with
a 90,000 rpm cyclic rate. The unit they've already displayed meets the
RoF
requirement, though they'll still have work to do to get the ballistics
right (each round in a barrell has to have a slighltly differing
flightpath
and this is still part of the experimental side of the weapons system).
But
the interesting thing was with the high cyclic, three round bursts could
be
initiated, all rounds would hit the target before recoil adjusted the
MPI.
This translates to very nasty amounts of *effective* FP. With the
rifle-ish
arm they displayed, I think they said they could put 100 round burst
out,
and the first-to-last round impact delay would be 0.04 seconds. Ouch.

The other interesting thing was that they were developing a 4 barrelled
pistol for police which would have 2 barrells loaded with 15 (?? seemed
non-symetric?) rounds of 9mm and 2 barrels loaded with 6 beanbags. This
would give the officer lethal and non-lethal force options without
changing
weapons in a very rapid span. I'm now going to include such hybrid
weapons
in an update of my non-lethal weapon rules for SG2.

They claimed to have applications for the technology in other areas
(including ??? firefighting????). They also talked about biometric
access
methods - these guns are electrically initiated. They could thus make a
very
safe handgun (your kid can't shoot himself with Daddy's gun AND the crim
couldn't plug the copper with his service pistol).

Something tells me if these are invented, the Canadian Army will order
the
version calibrated to single shots or three round bursts, and the US
forces
will order the full auto version.... since they have the logistics
train....;)

Thomas R. S. Barclay
Voice: (613) 722-3232 ext 349
e-mail: tomb@bitheads.com

Now, now my good man, this is no time for making enemies.

Voltaire (1694-1778), on his death bed in response to a priest asking
that
he renounce Satan.

Prev: RE: Starfire, was Re: More weapon concept questions Next: Re: Ship tape names Was: New Conversion of Babylon 5