Prev: Re: Wombat Rampage (was something else altogether). Next: RE: Dirtside Question: Zero or low G combat

RE: [SG2] reusable projectile launcher

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:38:24 -0500
Subject: RE: [SG2] reusable projectile launcher

[snip] Let me try to sum up.

> 1) Real weapons are extremely variable.
> 2) We don't have a real adequate name for this general class of
> RR/SMAW/whatever.
> 3) Warheads of equal size and equal generation and equal purpose can
be
> equivalent in disposable and non-disposable launchers. Vary diameter
of
> round, generation of manufacture, or purpose and that is out the
window.
> 4) Reusable weapons tend to have more variety of rounds.
> 5) Reusable weapons can have greater range.
> 6) We aren't talking about a GMS - these are unguided rounds.

[Bri] 7) Reusable weapons requires multiple figures to carry the rounds.
You are now into special teams to man the weapon. And will have to
keep track of ammo in the same manner as GMS.

> So, here are my suggestions:

[snip]

> Our system, by comparison, will be something which perhaps fills the
> following niches:
> 1) a wee bit larger (more punch) perhaps
> 2) capable of firing further
> 3) capable of deploying more varied ammunition types

[snip]

> So, we need a name and acronym for our new system, regardless of
whether
> it
> is a Panzerfaust 3 like system or a RR like the Carl Gustav. How about
> RAW?
> Reusable Assault Weapon. This captures the fact that it is a reusable
> system, the fact that it can fire a variety of ammo (rather than being
> anti-armour specific) and I think (other than Rocket Assisted Weapon)
this
> acronym isn't likely overused or confusing.

[Bri] RRW? Reusable Recoilless Weapon?

> So, our RAW then needs some characteristics:
> 1) More punch. I'd be leary of giving it class 2 damage. 2xD12* makes
it a
> GMS/L and that is too big I think. I myself have mentioned I favour
2D8*
> but
> purists may prefer to leave it at D12* or actually take the step to
2D12*.
> This will give infantry more anti-armour punch. This presumes an anti
> armour
> round.

[Bri] I would stay with the D12. Any more and you are into the Class-2
Heavy Weapons range.

> 2) More range. I'd say use 150% of standard range bands. This puts max
> range
> for an elite unit around 900m. But for a regular unit, it's 600m. This
is
> probalby fine.

[Bri] This could work or shift the quality for the range bands up 1. I
can
see why a sniper would have range bands greater than a vehicle. They
are in a stable position, they will have taken the time to wait for the
best shot (likely over several turns). But I would not give this weapon
better range bands than a vehicle mounted system. GMS/P only gets
the extended range because the projectile is self-guiding.

> 3) More ammunition types
> Anti-Armour	D12*, 2D12* or 2D8* impact
> Illum 	Illuminate ?" radius (suggestion? I have no idea)
> WP/Incendiary D8 Impact vs. vehicle, D12* vs infantry, starts fires
> Anti-Infantry Strikes like AP light mortar (3" burst, D12 attack)
> Smoke 	Like light mortar smoke

[Bri] Again, this adds bookkeeping and/or chits to the table to
represent
the types of ammo carried.

[snip]

> Comments?

> Thomas R. S. Barclay
[snip]
> ---------End Original Message---------------------------------

My comments above are marked by [Bri]

I am unsure that the added complication is worth it. I would probably
keep then rolled into the IVAR category.

I would also suggest that the ammo markers be assigned to specific
figures (I suggest this for GMS ammo also). If the figure is lost
(wounded or killed), the ammo is lost). If you allow the recovery of
SAW weapons through house rules, could use the same house
rules to recover the ammo.

Those carrying the weapon or ammo should be considered
encumbered (you don't want to drop the ammo) and/or be
limited to close combat weapons). You can't effectively use your
assault rifle while carrying ammo for a heavier weapon in your hand.
If you pack the ammo (dangerous?), you would need an action
to unpack it.

---
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://www.ftsr.org/sg2/
---

Prev: Re: Wombat Rampage (was something else altogether). Next: RE: Dirtside Question: Zero or low G combat