Prev: Re: Sci-Fi Crossover after action report Next: [HIST] classical matchups

Re: Dirtside Question: Zero or low G combat

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:20:59 -0500
Subject: Re: Dirtside Question: Zero or low G combat

Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> KH Ranitzsch wrote:
>
> >I don't remember the value of the gravitation on Mars, but I wouldn't
> >call it zero or low g. So I wouldn't change the rules much.
>
> Our on-list astronomers should be able to give a better value, but
> assuming that Mars is homogenous - which I believe is rather
inaccurate
> - the gravitic acceleration on the Mars surface is just under 0.4g.
Not
> zero g, but certainly lots less than we have here.

It's a bummer that one of my colleagues who specialized in Mars research
recently moved to another project, but if you really want
the data, I'll be happy to track her down and see what figures she
has in her books.

[...]
> > - Increase DFFG range due to thinner athmosphere
> > - Increase HVC/MDC range due to lower gravity
>
> Increase the Close and Medium range bands somewhat due to reduced
> gravity and air resistance, but wouldn't the maximum possible ranges
> get *shorter* since the horizon is closer? (Mars's radius is just over
> half that of Earth.)

Without doing the math I don't recall that it would be *that*
noticeable,
at least on an SGII or DSII scale (then again, I guess that depends on
your DSII scale ;-)

> > - Appropriate terrain - no water features or vegetation
> > - sandy areas create dust cloud (treat as smoke screen) if crossed
> >by hovercraft
>
> Sandy areas on Earth tend to create dust clouds if crossed by any
> vehicle which isn't grav or high-flying VTOL/aerospace... the rules
> don't take that into account much though :-/

Maybe because the time scale for the sand/dust cloud to be around is
less than what a single DSII turn is? (I don't have my DSII rules with
me, so I'm just popping this off the top of my head :-)

M 'resident star guy, climber, and mainly lurker these days :-(' k

Prev: Re: Sci-Fi Crossover after action report Next: [HIST] classical matchups