Prev: Re: Veldtgrunt Next: Re: Inhumane Weapons

Re: Visio For FT

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:49:37 -0500
Subject: Re: Visio For FT

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:47:39 -0800, Neal Kaplan <nkaplan@viquity.com>
wrote:

>I'm not a Visio expert, so maybe I'm not saving it in the best
>possible way, but I haven't found any obvious problems, either.
>I import Visio graphics to FrameMaker all the time and those
>look just fine, so I'm not sure what the problem is. If anyone
>knows the answer, I'd appreciate some pointers.

I created stencils for Fleet Books 1 and 2 in Visio.

Visio's graphics export functions are not great. That said, the JPEG
images I
made of my fleet diagrams came out less fuzzy than your GIF image. MUCH
less
fuzzy. And they printed just fine.

There are two tricks you can do. Open up a quality graphics package like
Photoshop (I find Corel Photo-Paint is fine).

Trick 1: copy the entire image in Visio to the clipboard. Paste it into
the
graphics package. Use the graphics package to save it.

Trick 2: sometimes trick 1 doesn't work well with images that include
text.
Text in Visio does weird stuff. Trick 2 seems to work in all cases. Save
the
graphic in Windows Metafile file format. Open the .wmf file with the
graphics
program. It preserves the graphics and the text. THEN save it using the
graphics package.

For the record, I still use Visio 4.5. Visio 5 is good, too. Visio 2000,
the
official Microsoft version, is incredibly bloated. Files are much bigger
and
they take forever to save.

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

Prev: Re: Veldtgrunt Next: Re: Inhumane Weapons