Prev: Re: [SG] Bell Curve, was Re: Oerjan Dreams Next: Re: [FT] Bell Curve SMLs

Re: Inhumane Weapons

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: 14 Nov 2000 07:17 GMT
Subject: Re: Inhumane Weapons

> An inhumane weapon is determined arbitrarily.

Also, don't forget the relevant international agreements, such as the
Geneva convention and more recent ones, banning such things as Dum-Dum
bullets, chemical weapons and, m9ost recently, anti-personnel mines.

> While weapons of mass destruction such as poison gas and nuclear
> weapons obviously fall into this category, on occation weapons that >
would seem very humane have been banned  CS (Tear) gas was banned
> from U.S. Army use in Viet Nam after it was proven effective at
> clearing out "spider holes" or the tunnel system the filthy* VC
> used.

You mean 'filthy because they lived in tunnels' ?

I have read that the use of tear gas was banned because it was
considered a chemical weapon and in violation of the Geneva convention.
Still,
odd reasoning.

> After the ban soldiers had to go in with flashlights
> and .45's (rather more dangerous than rolling in a few
> cannisters...)

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: [SG] Bell Curve, was Re: Oerjan Dreams Next: Re: [FT] Bell Curve SMLs