Prev: Re: [SGII] Colors, Camoflage, and So On Next: [SG 15mm]Did anyone else see this?

[FT] Bell Curve SMLs

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: 13 Nov 2000 10:25 GMT
Subject: [FT] Bell Curve SMLs

Hello everybody

We recently had a discussion about salvo missiles under vector rules.
It would be more realistic to add the launching ship's velocity vector
the 24" range of the SML's. However, this is generally disliked because
it would make SMLs from a fast-moving ship the weapons with the longest
range in the game.

I propose to make the accuracy of placing the aiming point of teh SML
depend on the range as follows:

- place aiming point as under present rules
- displace aiming point by the ships velocity vector
- measure range from ship to aiming point
- throw two dice, one for left deviation, one for right deviation
- divide the range by 10, and multiply by the difference between the
two dice
- displace the aiming point according to the result of the multiplied
dice throw to left or right, perpendicularly to the line joining it with

the launching ship

This is more complicated than the present procedure, but, I hope, not
unacceptable. It also needs play-testing, and perhaps some adjusting of
the numbers involved. I chose the divisor of 10 because it's a nice
round
number. Possibly,  the 3" intercept range for SML should be increased
for these rules. Also tactics of both sides may change with less
accurate
SML's.

PSB: Assume the SML's are two-stage missiles, with a booster and an
intercept stage. After the booster burns out, they fly in a straight
line
until the intercept stage is fired. With limited boster accuracy, the
lateral precision or the aiming point depends linearly	(in 2D) on the
range.

Any comments ?

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: [SGII] Colors, Camoflage, and So On Next: [SG 15mm]Did anyone else see this?