Prev: Concerning Superior Ships Re: Whoops Re: Offlist: RE: The Primus Next: Bab5 Crusade Scripts on the net (legitimate!)

[SG2] large big arse games of SG2

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 19:34:38 -0500
Subject: [SG2] large big arse games of SG2

These were memorable quotes from our Grey Day to die scenario at GZG ECC
III.

"If we run out of black skulls I'll be truly horrified." - Tom B, A Grey
Day
"We woulda kept playing but the figures were getting tired." - Ted
Arlauskas, end of A Grey Day scenario.

This should give you some concept of how large games go. I had three
counter
sets.

Our game featured a human force (an FSE Legion Etrange platoon of 5REA,
and
two NSL platoons, with a bunch of Heavy Gear Infantry Walkers, PA, a
tank
destroyer, a tank, two APCs, and at least one walker) engaged by a force
of
Kravak with two heavy super-tanks, a light tank, several attack VTOLs,
and a
whacklot of KV (plus ortillery galore).

KV Forces

http://www.warpfish.com/jhan/ft/gzgecc/gzgecc3/gallery/S3_GreyDay04.jpg

Humans

http://www.warpfish.com/jhan/ft/gzgecc/gzgecc3/gallery/S3_GreyDay02.jpg
and
http://www.warpfish.com/jhan/ft/gzgecc/gzgecc3/gallery/S3_GreyDay03.jpg

and the board
http://www.warpfish.com/jhan/ft/gzgecc/gzgecc3/gallery/S3_GreyDay05.jpg

The outer layer was about 8x8 as I recall, the second layer was about
6x6
and the area you can just see at the bottom of the pic was 24" wide and
8'
long. All in all, I figure we covered about 116 square feet of game
board
space.

To do a battalion level game, which to me implies a battalion on each
side,
would require at least twice as much space. That would suggest around
250
square feet of board (keep in mind the effot of moving figs if you have
reach over terrain too).

Our game took about 12-14 hours and the writing was on the wall at the
end,
but more dice could have been rolled. A single platoon game takes 3-4
hours.
So, scaling up to battalion level, you end up taking (I would guess)
about
36 hours. You might do it in less, but not much less unless you run
separate
tables with separate refs and it really isn't quite all one big game
then.

I'd suggest simplified direct fire resolution for certain, no (or few
and
well marked) mines, few if any hidden units, and limited off board
assets.
We brought to bear some of the force a company could expect to be
supported
with. If you bring in Battalion level assets, expect the game to be very
slow and tiring.

My players (thanks guys!) and my co-ref 'Los had superhuman endurance
and
capacity to make up for my defficiencies. The game was fun and produced
lots
of memorable moment (the first KV close assault that killed six or seven
humans instantly in a squad of 8 - which was also the first time the
humans
saw an unhidden KV unit, and the moment Wi-Sel the NeverSeen KV sniper
opened fire on the 2ic of the human side with his sniper rifle...in
range
band 1 much to the horror of all!).

But such large games require planning, logistics galore, and ridiculous
amounts of effort.

Although I hope to see all my players at GZG ECC IV, I hope to see them
in
the Can Am (Smaller!) FMA game me and Los are running! I think I'll
leave
Carter Island/Grey Day part II for GZG ECC V.

Good luck to anyone trying to run anything like a battalion level game.
I'd
think DS2 much better suited.

Thomas R. S. Barclay
Voice: (613) 722-3232 ext 349