Prev: Re: SG2 questions, mostly shooting from vehicles Next: Re: What is the location of the rebel base?

[DS] Ch*t (was [SG2] vehicle weapons vs. infantry)

From: Aron_Clark@d...
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 13:29:17 -0800
Subject: [DS] Ch*t (was [SG2] vehicle weapons vs. infantry)

shogakusha comments regarding Dirtside . . .

> Don't like it. Hate the scale, and can't stand the idea of drawing
chits for
> damage. 15mm is as small as I care to go, and chits are for record
keeping.

I'm rather partial to DS myself and really appreciate the novel approach
to the
combat system.	DS was the first rule set where I encountered the varied
die
type "opposed roll" system, and the drawing of damage chits seemed
revolutionary.	Sure they're a fiddly and you might lose some if you're
not
careful, but there's all that added suspense and a feel that you're
physically
determining the outcome rather than making a lookup to a table.  I'm
tired of
the GW roll to hit, roll to damage, roll to save, system that has
started to
dominate the wargame design mind set.  In my book any system which
explores new
approaches to resolving combat, and is fun and exciting, deserves a
closer look
.

I think the 1/300th scale is excellent for larger tactical games.  You
might
have an infantry engagement, an armor thrust, and an air attack all
occurring o
the same table and influencing very different parts of the battle.  I
can
understand, though, if this isn't for everyone.

Finally I've nearly finished a DS vehicle designer in Excel.  It's
modeled alon
the lines of Sean Schoon's FT spreadsheet, and will error check the
design
against the rules criteria (ie power plant to weapon and mobility
requirements)
.
I've yet to run it by Jon but I don't think there will be a problem of
sharing
this with anyone who is interested.  If you'd like a copy of this
spreadsheet,
or would like to be put on a list for the final draft (which will output
to a
data card) contact me off list at . . . aronbc@juno.com .

"shogakusha" <shogakusha@geotec.net> on 11/08/2000 12:16:28 PM

Please respond to gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

To:   gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
cc:    (bcc: Aron Clark/AM/Avid)
Subject:  Re: [SG2] vehicle weapons vs. infantry

> But then you change the infantry focus of SG2 (in which case, why
aren't
you
> playing DS2 eh?).

Don't like it. Hate the scale, and can't stand the idea of drawing chits
for
damage. 15mm is as small as I care to go, and chits are for record
keeping.

shogakusha

Prev: Re: SG2 questions, mostly shooting from vehicles Next: Re: What is the location of the rebel base?