Prev: Re: The Day the Universe Changed... Next: Re: The Day the Universe Changed...

Re: Dollar Store Treasures

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 21:16:20 -0500
Subject: Re: Dollar Store Treasures

At 07:00 PM 11/7/00 -0600, you wrote:
>And don't snort at the Narcissus for a possible fighter scale, aka
Silent
>Death, fleet.

Looking at it again, it's a perfectly servicable 1/300 scale
shuttlecraft,
too.

>***
>I also picked up the Star Wars set with the Mon Calamari cruiser and
Cloud
>City in it -- the makings of a space station or two.
>***
>
>I have a pretty big 'Assault on the Death Star' pair of fleets, but I'd
be
>interested in the cruiser(s) and other ships, if you get more. I've a
few
>MM Aliens to swap, if you don't have enough from DE.
>***
>I also found a building set which, after a bit of judicious
destruction, I
>was able to turn into a pretty decent 28mm scaled ruined building.
>
>http://www.geocities.com/johnxcrim/GalleryMisc.html  -- at the bottom
of
>the page, after I added a base and painted it up.
>***
>
>Most kewl! I'd like to have seen a 'before' piccie. I've picked up
smaller
>resin village houses and castles that might work with 15mm and smaller
>scales. Well, the castles are WAY smaller, but set to the side, or
center,
>as a goal in a Warmaster-type game...

I've got a semi-before picture --
http://www.geocities.com/johnxcrim/Graphics/Building.jpg
-- before painting, but after an evening with a pair of pliers and a
dremel
tool.

>***
>And lastly, I picked up a $5.00 laser pointer at a nearbygrocery
>store...perfect for determining LOS on those crowded gaming boards.
>***
>
>I've no problem with that usage, but I know plenty of gamers that find
it
>somehow not being a purist. That, and there's always some munchkin(of
the
>unsavory meaning) that likes to go around shinning them into peoples
eyes,
>making light saber noises.

Not purist?  I've never heard of this.	We only use it to determine if
figure A can see figure B after the shot's been called.  On the kind of
boards we use, it comes in handy.

As for other uses....  I hate to admit to knowing this, but if you aim a
laser pointer *just right* at one of those plastic flying bases, it
produces this cool force shield effect on the board around the
miniature.

Ummm...a passing child showed me this.	That's my story, and I'm
sticking
to it.

Oh yeah, and they really freak out cats, too.  This thing was sold as a
pet
toy.  "Amuse a lizard" was one of the uses listed on the package.
That's
enough for me right there.

John X Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
  --Spider Robinson, The Callahan Touch.

Prev: Re: The Day the Universe Changed... Next: Re: The Day the Universe Changed...