Prev: [FT] Sprites for FTMap Next: Re: Stargrunt III? BDS? [OT} formatting email

Re: Fighter details

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@y...>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 20:27:46 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Fighter details

--- Morgan Vening <morgan@optushome.com.au> wrote:
> OK, some questions for the rules monkeys. *smile*
> 1) Torpedo Fighters
> Torpedo Fighters only get one 'volley' before
> needing rearming.
> How, if any, are they affected by CEF. We found it
> kind of well
> dumb that they are effectively 'Fast' Fighters,
> because they get 5
> turns of being able to move at 36".
XXX
     Your comment actually sparked an idea!
(Using house rules) The Torp-ftr could be
allowed to use its endurance for 1-6 point
(1D6) attack of 2-3 point(1D3) attacks.
The attacks use up endurace based on the
strength of the attack.
XXX

...Several
> questions.
> -How close do Fighters have to be placed at the
> point of launch?
> We said 2mu(inches), but we had no idea.
> -How close do Fighters have to be placed to land?
> -Which phase do Fighters dock in?
> -It seems that dogfights seem to favour the loser of
> the Initiative, if
> the capacity to tie up Fighters is still in place.
> Is it?
XXX
     We normally use base to base contact for
everything.
XXX

> 6) Alternate Landings
> Do Fighters have to launch/recover from their own
> ships?
> Would/should this add a penalty to the Re-Arming
> rule? Also, if
> say an Inflexible Carrier (NAC) has two Torpedo
> bays, and two
> Interceptor bays, and both Torpedo Bays are
> destroyed to damage,
> can the Torpedo Fighters Re-Arm in the Interceptor
> bays? Vice
> Versa?
XXX
     Logic dictates that the bays are identical
as they have the same mass and cost.   Only the
fighters are different types, and in most cases
the servicing requirements are the same.
Only the Torp-ftr is different as it is considered
to have expendable ordinance.
It is the same as saying the 48th frt sq is in
bay one, the 17th heavy-ftr is in bay 2, 22nd
torp sq is in bay 3 and 66th Fast-ftr is in bay 4.
The 48th standard, the 17th heavy and the 66th
fast have the same replentishment requirements
and could use each others bays if required.
I would suggest you consider a house rule if
this is a problem.
XXX

> 7) Morale
> Assuming Question 6 is a no, has anyone experimented
> with
> Morale modifications for the effects of having a
> Fighter group's
> Carrier destroyed? Assuming Question 6 is a yes, has
> anyone
> experimented with Morale Modifications for the
> effects of having
> more squads than remaining bays in the Carrier
> Fleet? It was just
> discussed, that if a Fighter squad hesitates when it
> takes
> casualties, it might also, if it realises it can not
> get home.
XXX
     The other side of the coin is; Since you will
die in space anyway and these B******* just killed
all your friends, might as well make them pay!
XXX

> Morgan Vening
> Cabin Boy
> VFE Kallon, Suffren LCC

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: [FT] Sprites for FTMap Next: Re: Stargrunt III? BDS? [OT} formatting email