Prev: Re: [DS2] DBA Next: RE: Late night DS2 - SG2 interface question: qualities

RE: [SG/DS] Scenarios

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 07:21:44 -0400
Subject: RE: [SG/DS] Scenarios

I did a DS2 scenario based on the Moon (or similar planetoid) at the
GZGECC.
For those interested the link to Moonbase Xi is:
http://www.ftsr.org/ds2/scenarios/moonbasexi.html

It was indeed set in a vacuum on a smaller planetoid. Here is a summary
of
the special rules that I used:
1) Range: Max range was cut to 20" (40" from a hill) due
    to the closer horizon.
2) GEV's, VTOL's, Conventional Aircraft, GSM's, HVC's,
    SLAM's and CFE's, not specifically designed for use
    in a vacuum, use fins or blades as control surfaces.
    Thus, none of these items will work.
3) Hits on infantry draw an extra damage chit
4) Hits on vehicles not designed for a vacuum
    (amphibious - vacuum) draw an extra damage chit.
5) DFFGs double their range bands (maximum range of 20"
    or 40" from a hill)
6) Artillery and mortars not designed specifically for the
    low gravity, will not function (they achieve escape
    velocity).

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://www.ftsr.org/ds2/
-----

[snip]

> There are some other interesting
> features w/ regards to vacumn games, too.
>
> For instance, do DFFGs suddenly start acting like lasers? In DS2, the
> attenuation of damage is explained as a result mostly of air friction
on
> the bolt of energy. Remove the atmosphere, and do DFFGs treat
everything
> out to the visual horizon as Close range for damage effects?
>
> Obviously, no hover vehicles - and on Luna, can grav
> vehicles leap over
> mountains? Grav tanks w/ DFFG/5 - combat on vacumn low-grav worlds
just
> got a lot more dangerous!
>
> > Which reminds me has anyone tried any scenarios inspired by the Mars

> > Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson?
>
> More damned mindreading! I'm just re-reading this series (started Blue
> Mars this afternoon, in fact, having finished Green last night).
Several