Prev: Re: [FH] Balance of Power Next: Re: [FH] Balance of Power

Re: [SG/DS] Scenarios

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 17:39:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [SG/DS] Scenarios

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Beth Fulton wrote:

> I'll try and get a hold of it and it might inspire an interesting
scenario
> (we have already had a few vacuum games where suit damage = dead).

That's nasty - accurate, probably. There are some other interesting
features w/ regards to vacumn games, too.

For instance, do DFFGs suddenly start acting like lasers? In DS2, the
attenuation of damage is explained as a result mostly of air friction on
the bolt of energy. Remove the atmosphere, and do DFFGs treat everything
out to the visual horizon as Close range for damage effects?

Obviously, no hover vehicles - and on Luna, can grav vehicles leap over
mountains? Grav tanks w/ DFFG/5 - combat on vacumn low-grav worlds just
got a lot more dangerous!

> Which reminds me has anyone tried any scenarios inspired by the Mars
> Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson?

More damned mindreading! I'm just re-reading this series (started Blue
Mars this afternoon, in fact, having finished Green last night). Several
infantry/light armour actions mentioned, but not in real detail.

I'm not sure what sort of detail I should go into - I hate dropping
spoilers for such a great series, if people haven't read them yet! If
you're into hard SF, sort of in the Arthur C. Clarke mode for the mix of
people & science, check them out...

For gaming, some parts of the 2nd half of Green Mars might be fodder for
SG2 or DS2 scenarios; Red Mars has nowhere near enough detail, but we
get
some glimpses in Green of the state of the military art.

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -
- http://warbard.iwarp.com/games.html -

----

----