Prev: RE-GZG weat coast con:4 (!) days and counting... Next: Re: GZG West Coast Con: 4 (!) days and counting ...

[SG2] [DS2] harmonizing vehicle construction

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:31:42 -0400
Subject: [SG2] [DS2] harmonizing vehicle construction

Okay,

Oerjan makes good points. I agree with his comment about things like
GMS,
HMG, and similar systems taking up "real" space and their ammo taking up
real space. In that sense, maybe it is SG2 construction that is flawed -
one
could argue from ground mount rules that such weapons take a space and I
could argue from construction rules that GMS/L takes two spaces. But
GMS/P
in SG2 terms is a personal weapon. And ammo for vehicle or personal
weapons
is never even touched on (I consider it a nit-pickers shortcoming).

I'd kind of enjoy a 3G style vehicle construction system (and yes, BTRC
has
one - we just don't have any SG2/DS2 stat conversions). Something which
accounted for these details.

I question Oerjan's comment about heavy weapon crews. Will they get
smaller?
Maybe. I know people in some sectors want them to. But if ammo is the
big
space problem, how can two guys carry enough? And if the weight of the
system is a problem, how do you fix that? Lighter metals... maybe. I
believe
people have tried this with some KE weapons and have found that if you
make
the basing too light, the kick just throws them about - the mass is
there to
address recoil issues that don't vanish even with high tech. Will an HMG
get
much lighter? Perhaps. But maybe not until portable grav units help
anchor
it. Any thoughts on how the recoil and ammo size/weight issues will be
addressed?

I guess although Oerjan has it right that DS2 is better because it
assumes
some systems have space requirements (LADs, GMS/L, APSW/HMG/AGL), where
find the system interface with SG2 is weak is that all rifle squads (3
man
or 5 man) take up the same space. For DS2 this is fine... but those
extra
guys matter in SG2 terms.

And maybe vehicle ammo for GMS, HKP and other ammo using systems (or
fuel
weight for those running other systems) should be an issue.

Thomas R. S. Barclay
Voice: (613) 722-3232 ext 349
e-mail: tomb@bitheads.com

Prev: RE-GZG weat coast con:4 (!) days and counting... Next: Re: GZG West Coast Con: 4 (!) days and counting ...