Prev: FB2 errata - I found another Next: Re: [FT] SSD question

RE-HH missiles

From: "bif smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:42:44 +0100
Subject: RE-HH missiles

Reading through the varieous replies about the HH missiles and designing
ship for FT, I had a idea (my head hurts).

The crew to mass ratio requires altering for HH ships, therefore, if 1
mass=400 tonnes, the crew ratio becomes correct for FT ships (aprox).
This
means that a 1 mass magasine holds aprox 5 HH standard missiles
(assuming
say 25 tonnes for autoloader and the mag itself). If you say that 1 turn
is
1 min*, it gives you a chance to launch 4 salvos from a manty mod 17b
launcher with a 17 sec recycle time. If you roll as one salvo, with 4D6
dammage (1D6 per missile), each roll of the PDS is resolved as per
SML`s.
This also means you can have differences between mantys and peeps, with
the
peeps having a cycle time of say 20 secs for their launchers, making 3D6
dammage (3 missiles). You could also have limited firing (assuming the
above
figures are rapid fire), where each launcher fires 1 missile per turn,
using
only 0.2 mass of ammo (1 missile). This does mean that the weapons will
be
light for the mass of the ships.

*I know that a turn for a FT game was worked out at between 15 to 20
mins,
but a HH ship could empty it`s entire magasine in less time than that.
After
all, ship life expectancy is rather short in HH.

Using a 400 tonnes=1 mass ratio, PDS becomes rather heavy, but could
include
the mass for countermissiles in the mass and cost for PDS. A mass for a
launcher of 1 would mean that for a broadside launcher (2 arc), the mass
would be the same mass as a chaiser launcher (if not, why not fit two 1
arc
launchers, and double your rate of fire). This means that the cost would
need altering for the different launchers. With the above scale, a HH DD
still masses in at 100 mass.

For the ranges of weapons, a rangeband of 6MU would mean a energy weapon
range of 6MU, missiles on sprint setting (1 turn endurance) have a range
of
18MU, and missiles on max range drive setting a range of 75MU!! (hit you
from a long way away). For the diferences between the missiles versus
ships
maneuverabilities/ability to alter their vector, this can be represented
by
different engaugement envelopes of say 6MU on 1 turn endurance, 5MU on 2
turn endurance, a 4MU on three turn (long range setting) endurance. This
is
still a rough idea at the moment, and the missile ranges still don`t
feel
right to me (I`m still thinking along the lines as given in the message
on
13-10-00, titled HH missiles, using the above masses for launchers and
missiles/dammage/rof), and only posted for and replies that may give me
more
ideas (PLEASE, PLEASE REPLY, even if it sounds stupid, it keeps giving
me
ideas).

BIF

"Yorkshire born, yorkshire bred,
strong in arms, thick in head"

Prev: FB2 errata - I found another Next: Re: [FT] SSD question