Prev: Re: Jerrymeister's archives Next: FT: FB2 Errata

Re: permanent armor

From: "Charles N. Choukalos" <chuckc@b...>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:33:15 -0400
Subject: Re: permanent armor

Hum...

Well there's all this talk about permanent armor..... why don't we take
page from Steve Jackson's CAR WARS game and do something similar to
metal
armor.	Why don't you say something like this.

You buy permanent armor in layers (1pt protection/layer).  Covers the
entire ship... say 3% mass/layer cost 3pts/mass.  Or just 1 arc (1%
mass/layer... same cost).

Then it works as follows.  For each attack it stops the number of points

inflicted/die (aka 2 pt layer would take damage from a pulse torp as d6
-
2, or a guaranteed no damage from a beam attack... the beam would get to

reroll... but most likely would still do 0 points damage...)

It degreeds by lowering its value every time a 6 appears on a die roll
against it.  Also when one fires at the armor with beams or rerolling
weapons, you roll all the 1st batch of dice to calc damage/armor
effects.
 reduce armor if applicable.  Then roll all the reroll dice.  reduce
armor if applicable ...ect... till out of reroll dice.

What do you all think.... pretty simple mechanic... adds another flavor
of armor for those honking Dreadnaughts that shake off damage feel...
ect..  Thinking about the costs more... I'd probably just forget about
facing stuff... that's a pain and too much added complexity for FT.  Why

not just do the all over layers, and say 2% mass/layer?  (That way I in
my BB Yamoto... could buy 5pts for 10% mass ....... hum...... okay how
about 1% mass/layer..... so I buy 10pts for 10% mass... then I watch as
Beth or Indy die horribly for poor die rolling... or alternatively Aron
vaporizes all of the armor in the 1st salvo.... Hum... I'd say its a
tricky price point... Anyway.... food for thought.

Chuck

--
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
|Chuck Choukalos | IBM : 1000 River Road   | Phone:802-769-5787 (tie
446)

|PD Methodology  | Essex Junction, VT 05452| Fax  :802-769-5722 (tie
446)

|Department	 | Bldg. 863H Dept. G07V   | Email:chuckc@btv.ibm.com

-

Prev: Re: Jerrymeister's archives Next: FT: FB2 Errata