Prev: Re: [DS2] newbie Q Next: Re: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)

Re: [SG2] [DS2] articulation - a final thought

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 22:59:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [SG2] [DS2] articulation - a final thought

<oglover@bigpond.net.au>
> wrote:
>
> >Actually i think in most cases you'll find a reasonable fit between
Jon's DS
> >and SG if you remeber the APSW team. So, for the NSL how about a 4
man Rifle
> >Team and a 2 man APSW team (Tom didn't raise these in his discussion
but
> >think these might best cover the PPG aspect in DS)?
>
> Owen, good idea! I'm going to have to try doing this in my SG2 games.
>
> Of course, I think from our earlier comments Tom and I realize that
SG2's
> morale system is too forgiving. This is especially the case with small
units.

We have a morale house rule that we call Cascading Morale, used in both
DS2 & SG2.

Basically, if you fail a test, you test again at one TL less.
You keep testing until you either pass, fall three Morale Levels, or do
+0 test.

For example, let's say that a Confident squad has their leader killed.

Test #1 at +3 - they fail enough to drop on level - CO to ST
Test #2 at +2 - fail, by another level - ST to SH
Test #3 at +1 - finally pass - squad stays at SH

If they'd failed either of the first two tests by enough to drop them
TWO
levels (CO to SH at Test #1) and the next test(#2) also dropped them by
1
level (SH to BR) then you stop testing at +2, because the three-level
drop
is the max allowed.

We've been using it in both Ds2 and SG2 for a couple of years now, and
we
think it works. Units will actually run away now, not always die to the
last vehicle/man.

There are another couple of gaps in SG2's morale/TL checks, but
Cascading
Morale at least makes the tests we do run more dangerous. It's actually
only one more level drop than you can get under the stock rules, but
there's a big diffrence between SH & BR. Besides, rolling repeated bad
dice (failing three morale rolls running by only one level) affects the
PLAYER'S Confidence Level, too!

The full version of our Cascading Morale rules can be seen at
<http://warbard.iwarp.com/ds2rules.html>

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -
- http://warbard.iwarp.com/games.html

Prev: Re: [DS2] newbie Q Next: Re: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)