Prev: Re: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live) Next: Re: [SG] in seach of 15mm

Re: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:42:52 +0100
Subject: Re: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)

[snip]

>> The description of the FSE in Jon's books (written by an Anglian I
>> notice)reflect a cultural predjudice up front. In French, it would >
>be Etats Federal Europa (gender?). In Italian, something quite
>> similar  sounding I believe (thanks Karl Heinz!) . I believe most of
>> the languages of these countries would end up calling themselves
>> the EFE. FSE is just an anglicism (or is that Anglianism?) of the
>> correct naming.

We did actually explain this in the FSE fleet section of FB1.....

>[snip]
>> comeback in a NAC that owns all of North and South America...
>
>Indeed, and without wanting to offend anyone, the GZG future history is
>heavily anglo-centric.

Of course it is! It was written by two Brits! (Myself for the basics,
then
a lot fleshed out by Steve Blease)
We never intended it to be a particularly "accurate" prediction of
future
politics (!) - it was written primarily to give a game universe in which
there were still many separate human states, most of whom
disliked/distrusted the others, thus giving an excuse for battles
between
virtually any combination of fleets.
I will admit that, in the back of our minds, there was a desire to do
something a little different from the usual "Americans Rule the Galaxy"
backgrounds rather prevalent in games at the time.... <grin>
(Oh, and the Neu Swabian bit was Steve's - apparently he named it after
an
original Swabian League from sometime in the 1400s - sorry if it sounds
odd
to German players, but the ship names etc, for the NSL mostly came from
German customer (Karsten Strochsen, who got the FT503 named after him in
thanks!))

Jon (GZG)

>I have considerable problems believing that the NAC could integrate
>Latin America as smoothly as the GZG history makes it out, especially
given
>the superiority complex many (real, present-day) Anglos have over the
>Latinos, which is unlikely to go away, and the long history of tensions
>between North and South America. Plus, if the NAC has devolved power to
>local communities and is something of a democracy, how come there is
>virtually no trace of Spanish or Portuguese in the names of places,
ships
>etc., both in the official books and on the websites ? After all,
Latinos