Prev: Re: AFV Recognition Next: Re: Vehicle Recognition

Re: Vehicle Recognition

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 17:52:29 +0100
Subject: Re: Vehicle Recognition

Karl Heinz Ranitzsch wrote:

>>>Sounds like Oerjan (and several others...) need some help in
>>>vehicle recognition.
>>
>>You got it completely backwards. My problem is that I and my
>>opponents recognise *TOO MANY* existing vehicles - which means >>that
we also far too often identify the parts a kit-bashed "SF" vehicle
>>is built from.
>
>Same problem with plane-kit-bashed spaceships, I often recognize the
>basic components :-(

...one of the reasons I don't use plane-kits to build spaceships :-/ I
do use 1/300 scale ground vehicle models though - Kra'Vak and Eldar
ground vehicles, to be exact <g>

(...though given the appearance of the Kra'Vak tanks I really had no
choice - the first comment when my opponents saw them was "Oh - new KV
cruisers! Cool! When's "FB4 - Alien Reinforcements" to be published?"
<sigh>)

>Even happens with graphics. I remember 'SF' illustrations of
>'spaceships' that were easily recognizable as B-58 Hustlers or F-16
>Falcons with beam guns added, complete with air intakes :-)

Air intakes on spaceships is a traditional feature. Look at the
X-wings...

>>BTW, there's a set of vehicle recognition tests on-line at
>>http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/5423/index.html .
>>
>>FWIW, when I first tried them I had one error (of 30 possible <g>)
>>in the "friend or foe" test (mistook a Soviet 2S6 AA vehicle for a
>>German Gepard
>
>I just did it without errors, but I was forewarned about the Gepard
and
>some of them were guesses. Haven't taken the naming test yet.
>
>Some of the 'friend or foe' pictures were tricky, like the Brits in
>front of an Arab mosque or the Leopard variant

The Union Jack on the front plate was a bit of a giveaway, though <g>

>(the Italian 'Lion', I guess ?) in desert colours.

Don't think so - if it's the one I'm thinking of it's got a German
cross (is that the Iron Cross, or does it have any other name?) on the
turret.

>And I guess in some quarters anything painted white with big 'UN'
>letters would be automatically identified as 'foe'.

<g>

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: AFV Recognition Next: Re: Vehicle Recognition