Prev: Re: [FT] MS Access Next: RE: [FT] MS Access

Re: CanAm Questions

From: "Chris DeBoe" <LASERLIGHT@Q...>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 18:24:56 -0400
Subject: Re: CanAm Questions

> CanAm Questions:
>
> Fleets of 6000 points. This is per side (as opposed to per player)?

Yes--that way if we have, say, 6 Americans and 3 Canadians it doesn't
screw
us up too badly (and don't gripe to me about time limits, it gives you a
chance to prove you're brighter than the other side).  6000 was selected
as
an easily-divisible figure.

> Are Rolls permitted (ship maneuver, not pastry)?

Both, as long as there's no chocolate (I'm allergic to chocolate).
Popovers
go well but fresh croissants are even better.

> Using cm = measuring unit?

Yes, I think that gives a better feel. for a large action.

> Floating table edges or fixed?

I've got a mucking great planet in the middle, I'm afraid it's going to
have
to be fixed.  But I think there'll be room enough.

> What ESU ship had Needle Beams? (just curious) Your government design
> restrictions seem based on the FB1 ships, but I could not find the
Needle
> Beam.

I'm not sure any had it, but it seems a ESU thing to do and I wanted
people
to have the opportunity to take it (and/or worry about it).  Other
restrictions are indeed per FB1 designs.

> Extra mass is lost if converting SML+magazine to Fighter Bays?
Example:
FSE
> Bonaparte BDN has mass 11 in SML_magazine; convert to mass 9 Fighter
bay
> leaves 2 mass left over. Is it just lost? Jerez CH suffers the same
problem.
> And the Trieste and Walburg/M cannot convert thier SML at all.

I didn't say it would be a good idea.  I will entertain lobbying in
favor of
converting the space to other uses, though.

> Comments:
>  1) Order writing seems long. At 5 minutes per orders, I doubt that we
will
> get more than 4 turns in the 2 hours. I would prefer to have a shorter
order
> phase (2 minutes). A smaller order phase encourages fleet movement,
which
is
> essential for large combat.

Comment from the other experienced conventioneers (ie not me--I said
"overconfident neurotic" with reason)?	I want it to be short enough to
be
"pressure" but not so short as to be impossible.  Not quite impossible,
anyway.

>  2) A lot of interesting ideas here (gravity, FC Markers). But it
seems a
> little overcomplicated for a large encounter. I know that you
indicated
> experienced players. But just taking a knee-jerk (or is that just
jerk?)
> reaction. Take the FCMs, for example. Ships are already in tight
formation
> (using cm will place many of a fleet miniatures toughing or stacked to
> remain within ADFC range); then add markers FCMs before the ships
move;
keep
> track of which FCMs were placed on which ship seems like it will add a
fair
> amount of time to the game.

I'm hoping the FireCon Marker cuts fire resolution time because you
don't
have to do ship A, then return fire from Z, the B, then Y, etc.  All of
Group 1 will be simultaneous, then all of group 2, etc.

>   3) IMHO it would be better to place the FCMs AFTER fighter movement,
but
> before fighter/missile fire. Add a rule, once placed, it cannot be
moved
> (limit placement time to 60 seconds for EVERYONE).

I was thinking "after fighter movement, before ship movement."	But
you'd
still have to move the markers

>Cut the number of FCMs to
> 1 per FCS and give one to each fighter group.

Needs to be x+1 so escorts don't have to sit idle in case their target
moves
the wrong way.

>  4) <snipped>
>   5) I would prefer vector if you are taking preferences.

In theory I am taking preferences but I'm thinking cinematic might be
faster
to play.

Prev: Re: [FT] MS Access Next: RE: [FT] MS Access