Prev: Re: Bugs! (and other alien life forms) Next: [SG2] articulation and efficiency

RE: DS2 Mudular walkers

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 07:42:54 -0400
Subject: RE: DS2 Mudular walkers

I also came to DS2 from Battletech.

Here are my conversion rules:
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/rlyehable/bt/BT2DS2.html
The rules are not specifically to convert BT Mechs into a normal DS2
game,
but to run large BT combat (several companies) much quicker.
My rules could work for regular DS2 games but you would have to:
 1) Discard the rule that lets them fire all of thier weapons each turn,
reverting to the normal DS2 method of only firing 1 weapon system.
 2) Discard the rule of ignoring the '2' chits for damage.
 3) Build the mechs using the DS2 system (probably having to discard
some
systems)
 4) Revert to Combat Mech movement (per DS2)

I like your hull down rule. It also works for non-reverse-articulated
legged
mechs as they just go prone at the end of the movement (face down/face
up
your choice).

I was in a BT campaign one time (GOOD campaign that lasted over 2
years).
During one of my early games, we (a reinforced company of 4 lances or 18
mechs -- 1 light lance, 2 medium lances and one Hvy/Assault Command
lance)
faced an ambush by tanks in prepared positions (hull down) supporting an
opposing heavy Mech force (about company strength of 3 lances or 12
mechs
mostly heavy and assault Mechs). We were taking many hits from the tanks
while we dealt with the opposing Mechs (we managed about even trades
with
the opposing Mech force despite the size difference). I soon saw that we
were on the verge of having to withdraw if something was not done. I
charged
my Mech across the battlefield and then went prone at the end of
movement. I
got many questions like "What are you doing?!?!" from both the opponent
and
my own team. I was shot at, but was not hit (being prone, I presented a
smaller target). The next turn I was able to stand up, close the
distance,
and enter the tank trench. I blasted away with chest and arm weapons
removing 2 tanks, then kicked-in the side of the nearest tank. This was
very
disconcerting to the tanks, to have a 45 ton giant stomping on them
without
being able to fire back, so they pulled out of their prepared positions
get a shot at me (the prepared positions limited their arc of fire and
restricted movement). While they were doing this, I opened up on them at
point blank range (top armor shots), and kicked in the turret of another
tank. Now that the tanks were distracted, my rest of my lance ran to the
tank trench (without being fired upon) and decimated the remaining
tanks.
Without support of the tanks, the opposing Mech force retreated. End
verdict: An unorthodox tactic turned the tide of the battle (one that
the
gamemaster had set up for us to loose and retreat from in order to set
up
the next game).   :-)

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://members.nbci.com/rlyehable/ds2/
http://members.nbci.com/rlyehable/bt/
-----

[snip]

> I haven`t used these yet, so I cannot say how useful they are, but it
does
> seem to offer tactical flexability for your units. Also, how about a
rule
> alowing the walkers to go "hull down", where they fold there legs
under
> there body. In the turn they go/move off from "hull down", they`re
only
> allowed HALF movement. While they`re hull down, they loose the
walker`s
> disadvantage of the +1 size level. This idea came about from looking
at
> these "bird leg" mecha, with there backwards knees. I have also
designed
> some mecha in size 3, to represent light units, used for escort or
> scouting
> duties. This removes the gap between infantry walkers and combat
walkers.

> Any comments?
>
> BIF.

Sound good. You might also be interested in checking out my DSII site
where
there's some stuff on Walkers. Here:
	http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/andrewmartin/DSII/CA.HTM

Andrew Martin
ICQ: 26227169
http://members.nbci.com/AndrewMartin/
-><-

Prev: Re: Bugs! (and other alien life forms) Next: [SG2] articulation and efficiency