Prev: Re: SGII First Game Next: General SGII Fig questions, also: Re: Bugs! (and other alien life forms)

Re: first SG2 game

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 5 Oct 2000 12:48:48 -0700
Subject: Re: first SG2 game

On Thu, 05 October 2000, "Barclay, Tom" wrote:

> 1) What was the exact force mix? Sounds like two-three squads vs. the
same
> number. 8 men to a squad?

Yep, my thoughts exactly!

> 2) Dummy counters. I'm not sure what the "OFFICIAL" rule is (don't
recall,
> don't much worry about that anymore because I'm comfortable with the
rules
> as we play them) but I generally allow dummies to move in these kind
of
> situations.

The rules technically don't allow dummy markers to move. Moving requires
an act
ivation. I usually handle this with scenario specific rules.

> 3) One way I find to give more flexibility to forces (though it makes
them a
> bit more brittle, best done with REG or better troops - actually can
be
> justified by superior training allowing greater articularion) is to
setup a
> platoon roughly as follows: (example)
>     a) Cmd Sqd (3 or 4 guys)
>     b) First Sqd, Fireteam A (4 guys)
>     c) First Sqd, Fireteam B (4 guys)
>     etc. for the other two squads.

I only do this for special scenarios. I find that the morale rules are a
bit fo
rgiving as it is. With small fireteams you end up with the entire
fireteam most
ly wiped out before they have a chance to lose morale levels.

Small fireteams of 4 guys against squads of 8 guys have a distinct
advantage. I
 only allow it in scenarios with small, elite forces or for specific
scenarios
(my dust off scenario at GenCon had the Japanese broken up this way, but
that w
as because they had to extract guys off the battlefield).

I haven't "costed" it out, but like SG2 squad formations have a big
effect on h
ow the game is played and should have an effect on play balance. I'd
suggest th
at two 4 man squads is closer to 10 "points" while an 8 man squad would
be equi
valent to 8 "points" (and a 10 man squad would be closer to 9 "points").

This is one of those areas where I'd like to see more formal guidelines.

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

Prev: Re: SGII First Game Next: General SGII Fig questions, also: Re: Bugs! (and other alien life forms)