Prev: Re: [DS] looking for a 6mm air/raft Next: Re: Valiant Starships Available!

SGII First Game

From: "Flynn Richardson" <Flynn.Richardson@u...>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 16:02:23 +1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)
Subject: SGII First Game

Hi All,
Hopefully this will not bore to many of you!

During my trip to Europe earlier this year I called in on Jon and picked
up some of his nice new 15mm figures, (after filling out the survey in a
positive manner I had no choice.. well that's my excuse any way :-) so
here is the AAR of our first game.

"A couple of space jockeys finally got down and dirty and have a go at
SGII."

We played the "Meeting Engagement" Scenario and my NSL Panzer grenadiers
(minus Vehicles) faced off against Adams UNSCM.

I was using the organisation straight out of the rule book and Adam was
using one he got off a web site some where (sorry forgot to note it
down)
Neither of us knew exactly what the other was using.

My plan was to roll up one flank first by concentrating my platoon. I
thought that the UN might be a hard fight so wanted to give my grunts
the
best chance possible. We started the game by putting out our inverted
counters and then telling each other which ones to remove. I tried to
keep
a straight face as Adam removed my command element! Never mind, I
swapped
it for one of the other squads and carried on (25% casualties and the
first turn hadn't even started!) I removed three of his markers that
opened up a hole opposite where I wanted to be and we started the first
turn. We ran into our first problem at this stage as we could not work
out
if you could move the dummy markers as you have to activate them and
place
your figures on the table. We decided to move a few and the there was a
round of "pass" as each of us tried to work out where the real units
where.

How do long time players do this?

The next turn the UN forces occupied some light woods inn the center
with
a good field of view and proceeded to spot one of my units, Yep the
command squad again. I moved another unit around on the left flank and
exposed a dummy unit. Then one of the counters I thought was a dummy
opened up on my exposed command unit firing its support weapon first and
then with its second action the squad weapons. Once all the firing had
stopped my unit had lost its SAW gunner and was down a confidence level
and had two suppression markers on it. I replied by opening fire with my
remaining squad but made the mistake of forgetting to add in the quality
dice, so no hits but one suppression marker. As the second action the
unit
went to ground. Adam reacted by moving his third squad on to the right
flank of the command squad and my second squad.

At this point I knew that I had only removed dummy markers as he had
only
started with three squads of eight men :-(

As his second action he opened fire on the command squad but only added
another suppression marker. I still had the command squad to activate so
used it to reactivate my two other squads. Still forgetting the quality
dice I managed to inflict a suppression and one wound result. End of the
turn.

The next turn Adam activated the suppressed squad and reorganized it to
remove the wound, lucky for me it was a kill! He then tried successfully
to remove a suppression counter. I made a big mistake in not activating
unit hoping to make him think that I still had a squad undisclosed. He
responded by activating his command unit and reactivating his first
squad
which proceeded to mow down my second squad. Its leader gallantly
stepped
in the way of a plasma blast to save the SAW gunner who was only
wounded.
The rest of the squad huddled together and elected Private Von
Funkleburg
as new squad leader!(rolled low so leadership rating went down to 3) His
leadership did not last long though as the UN command squad used its
last
action to place fire as well. Von Funkleburg coped a round as well and
the
squad was down to two untouched, two wounded and the two smoldering
corpses of the squad leaders. Quick huddle between the two survivors
again
(Bags not me!) and a new leader emerged! ( the new leader had a better
leadership rating back up to 2) I activated my first squad and got some
revenge on the offending UN first squad by wounding one and putting them
back under suppression (boy is it hard to penetrate power armour when
you
only have assault rifles!)At least I had worked out how to use the
quality
dice :-)

 Adam replied by indicating that he would CA my Command squad! (boy
power
armour can move fast! I didn't realise how far they can cover in a
turn)Lt
Richoffen holds the troop together for the confidence check ( three to
one
odds with the power armour modifications) and I let out a sigh of relief
when the UN failed to get enough combat move to make it on the first
bound, but promptly groaned as the Lt couldn't get his troop to get
there
heads up and fire on the new threat (remember they were still under
three
suppression markers!) Adam easily made it on the second bound. We paired
off his eight power armoured troopers vrs my 5 Panzer grenadiers when
the
dust settled I had two untouched (including the glorious Lt who defeated
both of his opponents!)and one wounded and Adam had three untouched two
wounded and three dead! In typical Adam fashion he passed the confidence
test but my guys failed (What do you mean there isn't a positive
modifier
for surgically removing power armoured trooper bollocks with a can
opener?
asks the Lt) and fell back.

At this point having taken close to 50% casualties ( and rapidly
approaching curfew time) My PG's offered the UN terms of surrender, (You
get to keep our nice shiny guns and we carry the wounded ok?) Which they
accepted.

Overall lots of fun and, once we got the hang of it quite fast. I made a
few mistakes (reread the rules silly and add the quality dice to your
fire
attacks!)and Adam out thought me in setup(he had set up everyone in the
middle), but not too bad for a first game. The UN tin cans will not have
it so easy next time!

I forgot to bring home works digital camera so no pic's this time :-(

Prev: Re: [DS] looking for a 6mm air/raft Next: Re: Valiant Starships Available!