Prev: Re: Heavy Gear figs (was [OFFICIAL...) Next: Re: Asymetric ships

Re: [figures] Interesting development

From: Enzo De Ianni <edi@n...>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 01:08:10 +0200
Subject: Re: [figures] Interesting development

>Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 09:11:31 -0700
>From: Mark Reindl <mreindl@pacbell.net>
>Subject: Re: [figures] Interesting development
>
>I heard about this a few months back, but didn't recognize the
implications
>for minis gaming.  I wonder if that would be considered piracy if you
copied
>an existing mini (seeing as how we've seen some people on this mailing
list
>who've done great work with rendering existing minis in 3d).  Not
trying to
>start a long thread here, just curious about the legal aspects of
it....

>Mark

Well, based on my knowledge of the matter (that is, I know something but
am
NOT an authority!): no, you cannot copyright REAL LIFE subjects (simply
because you were not the first or most widely known user of the item, or
design or whatever) but you could defend the property of a product of
your
own fantasy (err, I mean creativity) like a "spaceship", if you
copyright
exactly each single design... not the range, not the name, not the
background identification... exactly the design you are using! Each and
every miniature you make.
Piracy would come from the use of somebody else work to help your own
creation: you can make an M1A1 exactly like GHQ, not only because the
subject is common property but also because you can get inspiration and
use
the same conventions GHQ used (for example, make your rivets larger or
exagerate others details to make them visible) and end up with
"identical"
figures. What you can NOT do is put a GHQ made miniature in your putty
as a
master!!
That's the current general application of the international law.

Bye
					Enzo De Ianni

Prev: Re: Heavy Gear figs (was [OFFICIAL...) Next: Re: Asymetric ships