Prev: RE: Pirates and Privateers Next: Re: Pirates and Privateers

RE: Pirates and Privateers

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 12:40:32 -0400
Subject: RE: Pirates and Privateers

I understand your point of view.
But if a FSE patrol cruiser was attacked by (bother! now I have to go
look
up an AE government) ...Republic of Marxgrad (picking a name out of the
hat), the FSE would likely hold the AE responsible (they failed to
exercise
control over thier citizens). Granted the primary target of retalitory
strikes would likely be the Marxgrad holdings and property, but any AE
ship
that they would meet would likely be deemed hostile until a diplomatic
solution (including repreations) could be agreed upon.

It would be a somewhat similar situation to an attack from a territory
of
the US (example Puerto Richo) against Cuba. The US could claim that the
attacking force was made up of only native forces using equipment
purchased
with funds gathered by natives in the territory without any official US
envolvement. But Cuba would most likely hold the US responsible.

A lot of it would depend on the state of relations between the AE and
the
other governent. If relations were neutral to friendly, and the AE was
quick
to denounce the attack, any reprisals would likely be directed to the
specific offenders. If the AE denied or supported the attack, it is
likely
that the whole AE would be held responsible.

Now I am using the AE as an example. The same would hold true for any
government that has more than one stellar holding.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
-----