Prev: RE: [OFFICIAL UPDATE] New FT ships and SG stuff from GZG!! Next: RE: Pirates and Privateers

Re: [FT] Plasma Shield (was: various subsystems (alien))

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:43:23 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Plasma Shield (was: various subsystems (alien))

>>[Bri] It generates enough random EM from the plasma that
>>FCS cannot "see" through it. Thus, a ship behind it cannot
>>be targeted until the plasma bubble is "popped".

>[Oer] Unfortunately this leads to an inconsistency: PDS fire which is
>(barely) powerful enough to damage ships is unable to harm the plasma
>shield, but interceptor fire - which is even weaker - is either fairly
>good, or else *extremely* good, at destroying the plasma shields.

Here's a PSB explanation: Using the distance squared energy dispersion
law,
assume that for the most part interceptors (and fighters in general) get
real close to the plasma "bubble" on their attack. I would compare a
squadron of interceptor fire at 0.1" from the bubble superior to C1 fire
from a ship 6" away as far as dilvering to a target point on the bubble
with
the intent of "popping" it. This kind of concentrated interceptor fire
is
insufficient to damage a ship significantly, since interceptor weapons
have
little penetration power. I think of a full-on interceptor strike on a
ship
resulting in about half a hull point of damage - below FT granularity.
This PSB takes the bubble analogy more literaly than you might want, so
YMMV.

Prev: RE: [OFFICIAL UPDATE] New FT ships and SG stuff from GZG!! Next: RE: Pirates and Privateers