Prev: Re: Tech Level Differences [FT] Next: Re: Tech Level Differences

RE: UNSC fleet carrier design

From: Charles Stanley Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 19:03:16 +0100
Subject: RE: UNSC fleet carrier design

In message <B18DDC5F1158D311A66900805FD47181C89C5C@VSTASV1>
	  "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@dva.gov.au> wrote:

> Modules wouldn't really be feasable for a design this large due to the
lack
> of hulls to fit them to (the FSE Jeanne D'arc is only in single
figures).
> 342 mass is really too large (it screams "target" on every sensor
> available).

Well, have you seen the figure! (it is a) big, and b) noticably modular,
and I have a psychological limitation "must design ships to have systems
represented by features on the figures" - which is a pain) Frankly I
agree that its a bit big, (other people seem to think 'the bigger the
better') - at least FT doesn't give bonuses to hitting things because
they're large :-)
Actually, using the old MT sensor rules, it shoes up as a 'capital'
class target - use the thrusters at full power & manouevre at thrust 5
and see if the opponents thinks is an escort playing silly buggers with
a weasel system :-).

> With mixed armament, it would be better to have something like the NSL
> carriers, with 4-5 fighter groups & respectable armament.  It's too
> undergunned for a SDN sized ship; once the fighters are gone, a Valley
Forge
> (190 mass) will tear it apart.

Once the fighters are gone (presume you mean destroyed) it runs away
(well, tries to) - but point taken (this is a _UN_ ship - probably
designed by committe :-).

> Drop it to around 260-270 mass with 5-6 fighter groups & add 3-4 more
> class-3 batteries and another firecon for enough firepower to at least
keep
> the escorts away.

'Fraid upon my self imposed limit of trying to 'model' this monster
based on the figure, the number of fighter wings has to be a multiple of
4, and those bay modules are too big to just be 2 flights each (each
module has 12 sets of launch doors).

You should have seen the problems I've had with the other UN ships - but
I really like the figures :-)

> Neath Southern Skies -http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernskies/
> [Pirates] Dame Captain Washalot
> [NPJB] Absorbent Sponge Sheesh'Ka'Baab
> [MKW2] Admiral Peter Rollins - Task Force Zulu-Beta

Thanks for the input - I'm certainly going to modify it a bit - just not
sure how yet :-)

Charles (my other fleet is Kra'Vak :-)
--

Prev: Re: Tech Level Differences [FT] Next: Re: Tech Level Differences