Prev: Air dropped Units Next: re: [DS2] Grav dropped vehicles...

Re: Salvo missile escalation

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 07:07:54 +0200
Subject: Re: Salvo missile escalation

Stiltman wrote:

>My experience is that having about 20-30 PDS per thousand points is a
>good idea if the gloves are off.  Get much less than that and you're
>asking to get swamped by missiles or fighters, and getting much more
>than that and you're asking to get swamped by ships armed with >beams
and pulse torps.

That's 100-150 PDSs in a 5000-point battle... last time we discussed
this you seemed to be quite emphatic that 60-80 PDSs in a battle this
size was the norm in your group - or was it your personal fleets only,
in which case you didn't say anything about your opponents' normal PD
strengths?

Since this was one of the points I found inconsistent in your
descriptions in May-June - 60 PDSs simply won't save a 5000pt fleet
against 40+ fighter squadrons unless you also have level-2 screens and
Super hulls (or armour giving a similar amount of damage boxes), but if
you have that you won't have any offensive weapons to speak of, and 80
PDSs is unlikely to if you're forced to break off after taking 50%
losses - I find the your comment above quite interesting. Quite true as
well, of course.

I know I promised to go through our May-June discussions, to specify
what I found inconsistent. I'm still only halfway through; sorry 'bout
that
:-(

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Air dropped Units Next: re: [DS2] Grav dropped vehicles...