Prev: Re: [FT] New way of moving ships Next: Re: [FT] New way of moving ships

Re: Alderson Drive

From: "Chris DeBoe" <LASERLIGHT@Q...>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 13:05:08 -0400
Subject: Re: Alderson Drive

> ...and since I'm now past where they've jumped into the Mote, I think
> that's about it.  I may have missed a quote or two, but nothing major
(I
> think ^_^ ).	Just to note, the page numbers are for the hardbound
edition.
>  Interestingly enough, it's always Kevin doing the explaining.
>
> Hope this helps....
> Aaron

Kevin was the navigator, so it makes sense that he'd be doing the
explaining.

In "He Fell Into a Dark Hole", Pournelle says that thermonuclear flux
causes
the tramline, but you fall out of the continuum space back into normal
space
due to gravity effects.

*****************SPOILER************************
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

*
*
*
*

*
*
*
*
*
*

*
*
*
They proved this to be the case by jumping from one star and not ending
up
at their destination because there was a black hole in the way.    No
thermonuclear activity but plenty of gravity.  I don't recall how close
they
were when they fell out--aside from "too close for comfort".  In Mote,
it's
specified that merchant ships to Sol usually don't get closer than
Neptune,
which of course implies that the Alderson points are fairly far out.

Prev: Re: [FT] New way of moving ships Next: Re: [FT] New way of moving ships