Prev: Re: Starship! and FT, from the author Next: Re: Alderson Drive

Re: Starship! and FT, from the author

From: Brad Carlson <7sg@l...>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 20:07:26 -0700
Subject: Re: Starship! and FT, from the author

Glenn m wilson wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Sep 2000 23:05:56 -0700 Brad Carlson <7sg@lmi.net> writes:
> >
> >The problem I had was that they are unofficial, and somewhat
> >arbitrary. If someone was holding a FT tournament at a con, and you
> >wanted to bring in a fleet using non-official rules, good luck!
> >

> >What we were trying to do was make a game system where the ability to
> >recreate your favorite race, IS official, and universally acceptable
> >to anyone playing the game. It is, to my knowledge, the only system
> >that lets
> >you custom design your race and your ships.
>
> First, I am not a FT player, just Dirtside 2.
>
> Second, I am a little confused by a few points:
>
> Okay, so two people make up different versions of the same race - who
is
> 'official' ?	Or am I missing something (not the first time... or
> 100th...)

A good question. Take two Star Trek fans. Put them in a room. Tell them
define the Enterprise in game terms. Walk away knowing that neither will
ever get the other to agree on anything. Laugh.

If they are both participating in the example event, they will each
design
things according to their own viewpoints. They are both right. Let them
fight it out. (maybe one is from the mirror-mirror universe). Maybe one
wants "Superior Shields" for "his" Federation, and the other decides
"Good
Karma" and "Auto-Repair" (i.e. the luck of Kirk and the skills of
Scotty)
are more appropriate.

That is the beauty of it. Flagship Games is not going to tell you which
is
"right" or "official".

> Hmmm, the "...race and ships..." just might be a first (you could be a
> footnote in SF game history <grin>) but I don't have a knowledge of
any
> significant portion of SF space/starship combat rules,,,
>
> Actually for my 'intrusion' scenarios in my "Starguard sliding towards
> Dirtside 2" campaign a decent race creation set would be useful...

I doubt our system for races could be expanded into ground combat in
that
way. Might be interesting to try though...