Prev: Re: JUMP Next: RE: Stellar Diplomacy

Stellar Diplomacy

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 19:05:18 -0400
Subject: Stellar Diplomacy

Yet Another Half-Baked Idea From the Creator of the Alarishi
Empire...

(you know, I don't know about you, but _I_ find that phrase a
little worrying)...

  I'm thinking that what we really ought to have is a version of
Diplomacy with, say, 2 years per turn.	Start when FTL is
discovered.
  Player positions are (the majors) EU, NAC, ESU and (the minors)
LLAR, IF, IC, OU, PAU.
  Each player has a certain amount of population and a certain
number of regions. Regions with population produce resources, up
to a point; excess population in a region _consumes_ resources
(think "bread and circuses").
  Population points can be destroyed through war, or relocated by
shipping them to a colony, and lost if the colony dies out.
Obviously the population will grow over time, so you can't just
sit there and do nothing.
  When you participate in a war, you will lose population and you
may lose territory--this is bad.  Or you may lose population and
gain territory, which will improve your "population/sqare
kilometer" ratio.
  Your first colony will be _very_ expensive; the price goes down
after that with every colony you launch (and/or the chance of it
surviving goes up).  You can spread the expense of launching a
colony among several players, in which case they all get credit
toward their colony expertise count--this is to simulate things
like the US/Russian space ventures and, more importantly, the
"historical" cooperation of EU with IF and PAU.
   Colonies which succeed may secede.  But at least the
population is no longer your worry.

Prev: Re: JUMP Next: RE: Stellar Diplomacy