Prev: RE: Target rich system Next: Re: [OT] [gzg hist] UN Covert Ops

RE: Ship Spin (wa Re: [FT] DDs and DHs inspired by WW2 types )

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 08:36:45 -0400
Subject: RE: Ship Spin (wa Re: [FT] DDs and DHs inspired by WW2 types )

This was discussed several months back (last year?).

I had suggested that engines have double rating: T for Thrust and M for
Maneuver). T be massed at 2% ship mass * T and M at 6% ship mass * M. To
avoid min-maxing, add T and M masses together (including fractional
part)
and then round to get engine mass, then cost if figured.

A mass 100 ship with a MD of 4 in the Fleet Book (such as the NSL
Maximilian
BC) now has a MD mass/cost of 20m/40c.

Under the new system it would have an engine rating of 4T/2M. T of 4
(8m/16c) and M of 2 (12m/24c).

T give 1 point of acceleration per T used.
Under cinematic 1/2 T may be used for deceleration instead of
acceleration.
Under cinematic M gives you 1 point turn per M used.
Under vector M give you 2 point face change per M used.
Under vector Pushes are eliminated (or limited to 1).

For advanced drives (KV) use 2.5% for T and 2.5% for M.

These rules do not effect the SV.

The advantage of this system is that it does not negate any of the FB1
designs.  Assume all FB1 (and Phalon) designs have engines rated at T =
MD
and M = 1/2 * MD. Assume all KV designs have T = MD and M = MD.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://members.xoom.com/rlyehable/ft/
-----

[snip]

> I wonder if a simple rule change might make things more interesting.
When