Prev: Re: GenCon FT Tournament Fleet Results Next: RE: Ship Spin (wa Re: [FT] DDs and DHs inspired by WW2 types )

Ship Spin (wa Re: [FT] DDs and DHs inspired by WW2 types )

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 30 Aug 2000 12:44:19 -0700
Subject: Ship Spin (wa Re: [FT] DDs and DHs inspired by WW2 types )

On Tue, 29 August 2000, "Robert W. Hofrichter" wrote:

> Furthermore, the vesse's structural members would have to have the
> additional strength to handle the spinning as well.

Geez, forgot about that! It's been more than 15 years since I took
physics, but more than 20 years since I took "mechanics and strength of
materials".

You're right, though, that the "pointy" vessels would be better for
straight line acceleration. This, of course, is in NO way modelled in
FT. In fact, the way FT works, the higher thrust ships have the higher
spin rate due to spin and turn thrust being based on main drive thrust.

Sean Schoonmaker mentioned, a little while ago, that he'd like to see FT
with different main drive and turn thrust capabilities. I have to say
I'm beginning to agree with him. It would allow for a lot of options.
I'm just not sure if it would work well with the current vector movement
that allows a ship to spin any number of hex facings for one thrust
point.

I wonder if a simple rule change might make things more interesting.
When spinning in vector movement (or if a ship is sitting still in
cinematic movement) it costs 1 thrust point to spin one or two points,
and 2 points to spin three turn points. That is, to spin up to 120
degrees costs one point, and to spin 180 degrees costs 2.

I could even happily try 1 thrust point per turn. A 1 point turn costs 1
spin point, a two point turn costs 2 points, etc. If you have a big, old
NSL ship with thrust 2, you simply are NOT going to be able to spin it
180 degrees in one turn.

I'm not sure what this would do to existing Fleet Book designs.

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

Prev: Re: GenCon FT Tournament Fleet Results Next: RE: Ship Spin (wa Re: [FT] DDs and DHs inspired by WW2 types )