Prev: Re: [OT] Secret torpedo test 'blew sub apart' [was Fw: High speed subs] Next: Re: DragonFlight 2000

Re: DragonFlight 2000

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 22:09:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: DragonFlight 2000

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Kevin Walker wrote:

> on 8/29/00 18:15, Brian Burger at yh728@victoria.tc.ca wrote:
>
> > It was a great con - seemed a bit quieter than last year, but still
lots
> > of interesting games & people. Good to meet some more listmembers,
as
> > well.
>
> Stop that.  Now you're making me regret my decision to not fly out to
> Dragonflight this year.

I'll be there next year, anyway. I'm also probably going to make the
Seattle spring con - the one in April. Can't make the November one,
though.

> > Vector is so much more flexible - you can be scooting along in one
> > direction and firing in another direction entirely. It 'feels' more
like
> > space combat to me - FT with cinematic felt much like the ACW naval
game
> > I'd played earlier in the convention, not really like a space
game...
> > personal thing, I know, but I do prefer vector.
>
> Another thing I like about vector is fast ships still have an
advantage but
> anyone with main drives (well thrusters in this case) can spin around
so
> getting into a ships rear arc may still be possible but staying there
in the
> following turns takes finesse.

Vector gives bigger ships an advantage, certainly.

> > For 'challenging' - try getting a ship or squadron thru an asteroid
field
> > using vector! We've even done some vector orbital stuff, and that's
enough
> > fun to make the combat nearly superflous. Watching a big SDN spiral
up out
> > of low orbit is pretty cool.
>
> So how do you determine whether you've navigate the field properly
(I'm
> curious about the method here)?  Do you see if a straight line from
the
> starting point of movement and the ending point of movement intersects
an
> obstacle that's hazardous to it's longevity?

That's right - straight line from start of movement to endpoint after
movement orders are carried out. Asteroids have, for us, infinite mass &
'hull' points, so no matter how big your ship is, ramming a rock = dead
ship... I like occassional asteroids on the table, but several of my
gaming group are of the 'several dozen is not enough' camp... Watched
Star
Wars too many times, they have!

Real fun is trying to keep a squadron in some sort of formation while
navigating past asteroids!

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -
- http://warbard.iwarp.com/games.html -

Prev: Re: [OT] Secret torpedo test 'blew sub apart' [was Fw: High speed subs] Next: Re: DragonFlight 2000