Prev: RE: [FT] DDs and DHs inspired by WW2 types Next: GenCon FT Tournament Fleet Results

Re: [FT] DDs and DHs inspired by WW2 types

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 13:52:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] DDs and DHs inspired by WW2 types

> On Tue, 29 August 2000, devans@uneb.edu wrote:
> > I'm
> > just not sure that at some point, long and somewhat pointy hulls for
high
> > thrust vehicles might not still be the most effective, perhaps to
keep the
> > weight centered on the thrust line.

> The problem with a pointy ship is that it would take more force to
spin it
>around and to stop it spinning than if it was round. The old
conservation of
>angular momentum thing comes into play. A long pointy ship will simply
NOT
>spin as quickly as a round ship.

Why not?  With nothing resisting it, a long pointy ship could put its
thrusters
further out from the center of gravity without having to give up that
much in
terms of total mass to spin.  I'd think that, if anything, a long pointy
ship
would spin faster than a round one on account of simple leverage of
thrust.

On the other hand, I'm no great hand at physics, so it could be that
I've
simply got a bad case of cranio-rectal inversion here, too...
--
 The Stilt Man		      stiltman@teleport.com

Prev: RE: [FT] DDs and DHs inspired by WW2 types Next: GenCon FT Tournament Fleet Results