Prev: Re: [ft]modular ships Next: RE: Sa'Vasku

Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:03:47 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games

G'day,

 >If the modular bit also incorporates all of the fire control, maybe.

The basic cargo hauler superstructure has a handful of weapons (2
class1+class2) and its own FC and then each module with weapons on it
has
its own FC too.

 >But there is still the added costs of joints that withstand the
extreme
 >maneuvering of the ship without letting go and still be disassembled
 >(which is the hard part).

Noted that's why I have the linkage points and test for them in
threshold
checks, they got weakened by a shot and then failed to hold up to the
strain kind of idea.

 >2xMass cost for the hull only increases the cost of the ship by
slightly
 >less than a third, and maybe the mass lost can be left out (as all
that
 >is really necessary, upon reflection is more volume).

Given you're already paying for the extra modules that just sit round
doing
diddly most of the time I think the extra cost of 2xmass is uncalled for
-
it would be enough I'd say to price it out of being an option for
poor/small navies which it would otherwise be ideally suited for.

 >Its not that there
 >is more ducting, it is that the ducting must have accessable joints in
it,
 >and it has to be designed to be tested quickly and efficiently.  Fixed
 >config ships only have their conduits tested once, because it is never

changed
 >and battle damage is easy to locate.	If it has swappable modules, the
 >ducting has to be tested after every swap.  From experience, H/S
 >integration is expensive, time consuming, and not guaranteed to be on
time or on
 >budget.

I'll take you're word on this, but I think our different takes have
something to do with our differing views of modules I think. I think of
them as being very discrete so you'd only need an extra bit of access
around the locks as by testing there you'd know which side the problem
was
on. Whereas I get the sense you see much more integrated modules and so
need more access space (correct?).

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: [ft]modular ships Next: RE: Sa'Vasku