Prev: Re: [FT]Unbalanced? Next: Re: [FT]Modular Ships

Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 00:00:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games

Richard Bell wrote:
>How much does it cost to make the soap bubbles cloak?	They cloak
immediately
>after launching fighters and uncloak a secretly determined, but random
time
>later;

We've toyed with cloaking carriers.  Our general experience is that they
work only when you catch your opposition by surprise -- the extra cost
cloak them is enough that you pretty much have to go for pure fighter
complement, and if your opponent brings a strong fighter complement of
their
own they can pretty easily match you fighter-for-fighter and then
annihilate
you ship-to-ship, or just plain take the fighter superiority away from
you at
will.  If you've got cloaking carriers and your opponent has no
significant
fighter numbers, you've got a field day ahead of you... but cloaking
carriers
lose to non-cloaking ones, 100%.
--
 The Stilt Man		      stiltman@teleport.com

Prev: Re: [FT]Unbalanced? Next: Re: [FT]Modular Ships