Prev: RE: Historic/fantasy conversions for SG2? Next: Re: [OT] Quiet

Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 21:33:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games

> For FT(FB) I prepare lists for 1000-1500 for a small game, doubling or
> trebling for larger actions (unused due to lack of opponents around
here).

> Do listers keep much in the way of scout sections, courier boats etc.
to use
> up those last few points, or do people tend not to bother?

The Full Thrust actions I play tend to be 5000 points each, which is (by
us)
considered to be a halfway major fleet action between two good sized
task
forces.  The loose assumption tends to be that we can fly custom forces
as
we like, but that we don't have the option of just bugging out if we
don't
like a given matchup, which discourages us from getting too gimmicky in
our
fleet makeup.

I've had an ambition to set up some sort of larger campaign game where
resource management winds up meaning something.  OTOH, I could easily
see
that getting out of hand -- e.g. a carrier force attacking a battleship
force, the carrier side trades their fighter complement (but no ships)
for
the opposing task force, nullifying both of their striking power for the
time being, but the carrier side goes and buys much fancier fighters the
second time around whereas the battleship side has to replace their
whole
task force, thus the campaign quickly becomes worse for whoever falls
behind.
--
 The Stilt Man		      stiltman@teleport.com

Prev: RE: Historic/fantasy conversions for SG2? Next: Re: [OT] Quiet