Prev: Re: CanAm Next: RE: [SG2] Artillery Question, Anyone? Anyone?

Re: allan's arty

From: Kevin Balentine <kevinbalentine@y...>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 15:23:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: allan's arty

I've been wanting to reply to this thread, but I left
my rulebook at my friend's house after our last game.

After reading what Tom wrote, I would say that I agree
with him wholeheartedly!

Arty arrives when it reaches the battle area.

--- "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@bitheads.com> wrote:
> Allan, calm my brother!
>
> My answer to you is this: Though I do not use arty
> much (I prefer TacAir
> because it can be directed, controlled, and fought
> by the defender), I would
> say all off table air strikes or fire missions
> arrive not at Box 1, but at
> the Battle Area. If you want an immediate Fire
> Mission, you put it on the
> track at Box 1, then at the end of the round it
> arrives at the Battle Area
> and hits home. This might be platoon mortars or a
> registered, dedicated
> battery attached at company level.
>
> Just go with what makes the most fun - do you like
> your arty quick or slow?
> Is anyone but you gonna notice? :)
>
> Many scenarios I play involve Spec Forces or small
> underequipped troops on
> the move. Arty is often not an option.
>
> When my air units enter the board, I have AA small
> arms rules and Anti-Air
> GMS rules to deal with them. This makes them a fun
> part of the battle and I
> do use confidence levels for them so they don't just
> route off the board.
> (Generally, by the time someone gets around to
> dealing with the air units,
> it involves laying an HKP/4 or a HEL/4 into them....
> at which point they
> blow up so morale isn't often a huge problem -
> though I've seen GMS/P-Air
> take them out too). Strangely, with Aliens VTOLs,
> the biggest danger zone is
> the rear of the vehicle. So as long as it sits at
> the map edge front-on to
> the hostiles, it has reasonable armour. If it turns
> away, it tends to take a
> shot up the kilt... often terminal.

> Thomas R. S. Barclay
> Voice: (613) 722-3232 ext 349
> e-mail: tomb@bitheads.com
>
> Q:  If Brian Kernighan had joined the Royal Navy,
> what position would they have given him?
> A: First 'C' Lord.
http://invites.yahoo.com/

Prev: Re: CanAm Next: RE: [SG2] Artillery Question, Anyone? Anyone?