Prev: [GZG-ECC IV] - Excercise: Northern Crown Next: Re: CanAm

RE: FB2 - Torpedo & P Torp

From: Brian Bell <bkb@b...>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 21:55:01 -0400
Subject: RE: FB2 - Torpedo & P Torp

At 16:33 2000-08-02 -0400, you wrote:
> >I was referring to the way the Torpedo Fighters do damage equal to
the
> >initial roll if they hit. I guess that I was extrapolating to regular
>PTorps
> >the same mechanic.
>
>They most definitely don't. P-torps use the FB1 P-torp rule, not any
>fighter-related rules.
>
> >I.e. If PTorps hit (use to-hit chart from FB1), they do damage equal
>to >the roll. If this is not a correct interpretation, so be it. It
>seems silly to >have 2 different mechanics for systems based on the
>same weapon.
>
>The "heavy single-shot anti-ship weapons" carried by Torpedo Fighters
>aren't necessarily P-torps - indeed, the Torp Fighter descriptions in
>both MT and FB2 very carefully do *not* use the term "Pulse Torpedo" to
>describe the weapon.

May I respectfully ask then, what is it that a Torpedo Fighter is
shooting?
Since MT had missiles, I would say that it is not a self-guided,
self-motive projectile (i.e. missile) or they would have been called
missile fighters. If it is an energy pulse, then it is a pulse torpedo.
If
it is an unguided or non-self-motive physical ordinance, then the to-hit
is
way off. The original Torpedo Fighters used the same damage method as
Pulse
Torpedos (but with a limited range). I see no reason to have assumed
that
they used a different weapon. It seems to be splitting hairs to say one
use
of the word torpedo is one thing and another use of the word torpedo is
another thing.

>The discrepancy is that you'd have a 1/6 chance of getting a
>hit at extreme P-Torp range, but a full 6 points of damage.  It would
>be silly if the same launcher at point blank range fires and scores
only
>two points of damage on a roll of a two.  It must be collecting cosmic
>energy as the shot passes through space.

Use whatever PSB you want (self-consuming fusion plasma, for instance).
While you are at it explain why the worse shot you have with a K-Gun
(except for a miss), the more damage you do (roll under your class to
double damage, but roll high to hit).

---
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://members.xoom.com/rlyehable/ft/
ICQ: 12848051
AIM: Rlyehable
---

Prev: [GZG-ECC IV] - Excercise: Northern Crown Next: Re: CanAm