Prev: Re: [FT] Machine People Next: RE: [CON] ECC IV - winter time?

Re: Battlestar Fighter Squadrons

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.Donald@A...>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 03:35:49 -0400
Subject: Re: Battlestar Fighter Squadrons

The only way I could deturmine how many fighters per BSG Squadron:
Wait for an episode where a single squadron scrambles...like during hour
3 of the
pilot.
Pause the scene, and count the fighters onscreen during that "cloud of
vipers"
shot.  (4 head vcrs are great!)
My friend and I counted about 25 or so on screen.  There are probably a
few more
just off the screen.

But 25 seemed to be a good figure to work with.  As to the actual number
of vipers
per squadron...I assumed the squadron size just depended on what the
squadron was
doing.	(ie:  patrols only needed 5 or so, while battles used
everything...)	So
they seemed to have a habit of calling any group of vipers a "squadron".

Because no-one during the bridge shot raised concern over green and
yellow
squadrons, I assume they existed.
And because they never appeared on the show, (just blue and red)  I had
two
thoughts.
One, they might have been off loaded somewhere before the peace
confrence.  (A
common occurance.  Just after the 4th of july, the carrier JFK appeared
as an
exclusive viewing stand for Boston's "Sail 2000" event.  Her entire
complement of
aircraft were transfered to land bases for the duration.)
Two, they were backup/training squadrons.  (ie: replacements for red and
blue.)

When the Silver Spar (star?) squadron got transfered over to the
Galactica,  no-one
seemed worried as to where they were going to park 'em.

What all this seems to me is that a battlestar could carry around 120 -
150 or so
fighters.

As to the Galactica's missles...I just assumed that either: Adama had
allready used
them up before the peace confrence, or was holding them back for a
really good
moment.  I just assumed that the Pegasis and the Galactica were
identical, because
no-one made any statements about the ships being different.

Just my thoughts

Donald Hosford

Prev: Re: [FT] Machine People Next: RE: [CON] ECC IV - winter time?