Prev: Re: Machine People Next: Chat closedown

[FT] Machine People

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <s_schoon@p...>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 16:34:35 -0700
Subject: [FT] Machine People

Just got out of the chat room with Denny and The Beast.

...keep in mind that I have not been following this thread, and this is
just my take on what I've been told - and of course what I've added to
it
;-)

As I understand it, the discussion is on an adaptive race that can
change
its systems with DCPs - or something to that effect.

The first thing I thought of when "variable systems" came up was:
Sa'Vasku.

So what if we were to use a similar mechanic related to power, rather
than
DCPs.

In other words, you select a MASS, which provides power generators (just
like the S'V). Do FTL and Main Drive like the S'V as well.

Now add generic nodes of various MASSes. These nodes could then be
changed
in funtionality by the application of power (to the R-pool), but they
would
have to be powered (out of the appropriate pool) after they changed.
Thus a
node could not be powered for use on the same turn it changes.

This puts a 1 turn delay into the morphing system, which I think is a
good
thing.

The node could morph into any system of equal or less MASS. Thus a MASS
9
node could become a hangar bay, or a Class 3 Beam with 360. If you
wanted
to have more adaptability, you could also let the same node become 3
Class
2 Beams (360). I'd limit it to identicle systems for multiple system on
one
node.

Hangar bays would use "bio"MASS the same way the S'V do.

OK; that's my idea. Now you guys get to rip into it :-)

Schoon

Prev: Re: Machine People Next: Chat closedown