Prev: [OT] Jared Nobel, Pls Contact Me Next: Re: Machine People

Re: Looking for WW2/Wet Navy Full Thrust rules

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 27 Jul 2000 20:07:10 -0700
Subject: Re: Looking for WW2/Wet Navy Full Thrust rules

On Thu, 27 July 2000, "Imre A. Szabo" wrote:

> You both might want to try Avalanche Press's Great War at Sea serries.
> Their1904-1905 Russo-Jappanesse War game won best historical game at
Origins this
> year...

Yep, I've got it. I've also got the Tsushima game from SPI. This is a
bit different, though. It started off with Binhan Lee doing a set of WW2
rules based on FT, and I ran with it. I've come up with some interesting
innovations. The darnedest thing is that the results aren't radically
out of whack with what I've seen in other games. The probabilities are
reasonably close enough that this "beer and pretzels" game could give an
okay result.

The idea, though, wasn't just to create a Russo-Japanese War game, but
to create one based on FT.

I have two scales in the game: battle scale and encounter scale.
Encounter scale is close to FT. Battle scale has half the hull boxes and
twice the movement of encounter scale. It's intended for really BIG
battles, where you want to play Tsushima in 3 or 4 hours. Movement is
stolen, mostly, from General Quarters. The basic combat rules are
modified Full Thrust (heavily modified, in some places). A lot of the
extras come from my own warped brain.

But thank you for prompting something. I have a fair number of 1/2400
scale ships already painted. I haven't painted my 1/6000 scale ships
yet, though, and they are better for the game scale I'm using. However,
the Avalanche game has card counters of the ships, and they are pretty
small (compared to miniatures). Looks like I can use them to playtest
with until I get my Hallmark 1/6000's painted. Thanks! I hadn't thought
of that... though not sure why...

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

Prev: [OT] Jared Nobel, Pls Contact Me Next: Re: Machine People