Prev: Re: [OT? ] Trek-Like 'Cold Plasmas' Shield, Cloak Next: RE: SG2: World War 2 conversion

BG corrections... Re: The GZG Digest V2 #36

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:19:47 +0100 (BST)
Subject: BG corrections... Re: The GZG Digest V2 #36

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 07:49:15 -0500 devans@uneb.edu wrote:

> I caught the episode "The Hand of God" yesterday, where Galactica
took on a Cylon base star. From the episode the Galactica has no
missile armament, a large number of PDAF/ class-3's, and several much
larger forward guns. The Galactica carries 2 squadrons (Red and Blue),
with a 3rd Squadron (Silver) <

That's "Silver Spar" Squadron -- don't ask me why. There is also
(circumstantial) reason to believe that the Galactica has a further two
squadrons (Yellow and Green); we just never hear about them.

> [...]taken on in later episodes from the Battlestar Pegasus. The
squadrons seem to be standard USN 12 ship squadrons, so Galactica would
have 4 fighter squadrons, increased to 6 in later episodes (which
caused problems as it was more fighters than she was designed to
carry). <

> Do we have a good feel for how large a BG squadron is? I had the
feeling they were as large as two or three FT squadrons. <

Probably more like four or five FT Groups, or, in the extreme, 8 or 9.
We know from "The Hand of God" that a Base Star carries 300 Raiders. In
that episode, Tigh tells the assembled Warriors that they will be
outnumbered "2 to 1", which gives a baseline figure for the G's current
complement of 150, despite their only having 67, IIRC, immediately
after the Destruction (not to mention all the Vipers lost in episodes
like "The Lost Warrior" <g>. This is all very vague, obviously, but an
organisation consisting of 5 squadrons of 30 fighters seems reasonable.

> I think it was the episode with the Pegasus that BG is passing
between two Base Stars, and firing large missles at each. I believe the
footage was actually NASA film of rocket stage separations. <

That was the Pegasus charging between the Base Stars, and yes, the
missile launch shots were stock footage, and their "flight" was your
basic animated streak of coloured light, not unlike a zap gun. Oddly
enough, the same footage was used in THoG to represent the Galactica
firing _Lasers_ on the Base Star.

Phil
(Dr) P.A. Atcliffe
Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Engineering
University of the West of England, Bristol
Phone: +44 (0)117 344 2496
Fax:   +44 (0)117 344 2683
Email: Phillip.Atcliffe@uwe.ac.uk

Prev: Re: [OT? ] Trek-Like 'Cold Plasmas' Shield, Cloak Next: RE: SG2: World War 2 conversion