Prev: Re: painting minis Next: Re: KV Paint job

RE: KV Paint job

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:15:07 -0400
Subject: RE: KV Paint job

Thanks for the input!

The jpeg does not show it very well, but the base color is Mauve (as in
MT),
the spots are actually J.A. Green (dark, dusty green), and the stripes
are
bright green. I chose the mauve and green carefully. But I knew that the
scheme would appear too flat. So I added the bright green stripes. The
other
advantage of this scheme is that it can be repeated on both small and
large
ships.

Drybrushing: I have tried this, but failed utterly. I guess that I have
too
heavy a hand or use too thick of paints (even if I thin them
substantially).

Washes: I do even worse with washes.

I did plan one more detail to add. I have some blue ink wash that I
planned
to pick out the panels with. The idea is to add a UV-ish cast to the
colors.
I will try it tonight or tommorow and let you know the results (it won't
show up on a .jpeg if I do it right).

The other thing that I may do is to add some shadow to the spots with
black
paint on 2/3rds of each spot (consistant direction). Takes extra time,
but
can be effective. The downside is that spots that hit the outline of the
miniature will not have a shadow. :-/

I am also in the process of adding tiger-ish black stripes to my larger
ESU
ships. I did the Komorov and it came out looking good (to my eyes). But
will recieve the same (constructive) criticism, it does not have panels
highlighted.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net