Prev: Re: [OT] RE: Actual Warp Drive Theory Next: Re: [OT] RE: Actual Warp Drive Theory

Re: [OT] RE: Actual Warp Drive Theory

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: 25 Jul 2000 09:41 GMT
Subject: Re: [OT] RE: Actual Warp Drive Theory

Steve wrote
> > A photon is actually an electron/anti-electron pair.
>
> Hmm, let's see. An electron has a mass of 9.1x10^-31 kg. Same for a
> positron (proper name for an anti-electron). So the total energy of
> the mass of an electron/positron pair is given by E=mc^2 and is
> 1.638x10^-13 J
>
> Now, the energy of a photon is given by planck's constant x
> frequency. Planck's constant is 6.626x10^-34. So the minimum energy

> frequency a photon could have to have the equivalent energy of an
> electron/positron pair is 2.47x10^20 Hz. Which is well into the
> gamma ray range.
>
> So, how is it possible that all photons are electron/positron pairs
> when photons typically have much lower energies than the minimum
> energy of such a pair?

Because that is not really the case. Photons "are" distinct particles
and not e+e- pairs. However, high-energy-photons - as you calculated
above, I didn't check the numbers - can be converted into
electron-positron
pairs when interacting with matter or other photons.

Also note, that according to Quantum Mechanics and Heisenberg's
uncertainty principle, there are such things as 'Virtual Particles'
which
"exist" only for minuscule moments of time before disappearing again. As
they
can not be directly observed, they don't have to obey most conservation
laws and for example, a low-energy photon can give rise to a virtual
e+e- pair. Of course, it is a question for philosophers if virtual
particles "exist". But certainly, there are measurable effects that you
can get
out of the Quantum calculations only if you include virtual particles.