Prev: Re: FB2 Fleets (or "How I Learned to Hate the Savasku") Next: Re: [OT] RE: Actual Warp Drive Theory

Re: Actual Warp Drive Theory (was Re: Light may break its own speedlimit) [OT]

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: 25 Jul 2000 07:37 GMT
Subject: Re: Actual Warp Drive Theory (was Re: Light may break its own speedlimit) [OT]

Nyrath the nearly wise wrote
> "Bell, Brian K" wrote:
> > I have heard photons described as "free electrons". Has physics
> > predicted an anti-photon? If so, since light is energy (or at
> > least energy expressed), what is the result of a photon/
> > anti-photon collision? Nothing (annihilation without side-effect),

> > Non-EM radiation? Matter? Other?
>
>  I'm not a physicist (I only play one on the Internet) but
>  as far as I know, there ain't no such beast as an "anti-photon."
>
>  A particle and its anti-particle annihilate each other because
>  a particle's quantum mechanical "glue" is the solvent for the
>  glue of its anti-particle.

This is far off the mark. In terms of particle physics, the only 'glue'
is provided by the particles transmitting forces (electromagnetic,
weak, strong, gravity forces). The term 'gluon' refers to the particles
of
the strong nuclear force, which ties quarks together into protons,
neutrons and other particles.

Not all particles consist of sub-particles (as far as we know),
especially electrons, muon and neutrinos are indeed elementary.

Particle-anti-particle-annihilation has nothing to do with 'glue'