Prev: Re: [FT] Scenario for review Next: Re: [FT] Scenario for review

Re: [FT] Scenario for review

From: "John C" <john1x@h...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 18:19:27 GMT
Subject: Re: [FT] Scenario for review

>A ship may put in its orders that it is escorting a certain friendly
ship X
>(provided it has sufficient thrust to match course and velocity with
X),
>and
>protecting a single quadrant of ship X (F, A, P or S).  Attacks in that
>quadrant against ship X count X as having one additional level of
screens
>(up to a max of two), and a number of dice equal to the amount of
damage
>prevented by the escort is rolled as an attack against the escort.

The idea is to make excorting as quick and easy as possible, while still

making it effective; that's why I decided not to worry about specific
arcs.
With this game in particular, there's going to be so much going on that
don't want to worry about the fiddly bits.

>The attacker is effectively penalized for trying to fire past the
escort to
>attack the target, yet the escort can pay a price for doing his duty
and
>can
>also be outmaneouvred or overwhelmed by multiple attackers.  Also, an
>escort
>which is relatively small relative to the target may be destroyed as a
>consequence of interposing itself against incoming fire.

The escorts *will* be taking damage -- the damage that the ships that
they
are protecting would normally be taking (assuming that the escorts have
good
rolls....)  And I expect most of the escorts to pay the ultimate price:
being blown into little tiny bits.

I hadn't thought about escorts protecting other military ships, but I
don't
think that it will be a huge problem.  I'll just make it clear that the
ship
that is being protected will not be able to fire at the ship that it is
being protected *from*, and that no ship can have more than one escort
at a
single time.

John Crimmins			  john1x@hotmail.com
     http://www.voicenet.com/~johncrim/index.html
"Greetings, my friends. We are all interested in the future,
for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of
our lives. And remember, my friends, future events such as
these will affect you in the future."
	 -- Plan 9 from Outer Space

Prev: Re: [FT] Scenario for review Next: Re: [FT] Scenario for review